We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach 67

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Beach 67

I've seen several different directions to get to "Beach 67" or "Beach 69." It is confusing due to the fact that the Pole # on the road used to be #69 and now is (per the "Revealled" book) pole #71?? When I look on Google Earth, I see a maize of roads, and it's difficult to determine what's what. Anyway, I'm trying to make sure I know where beach 67 is.

Could anyone give me reasonably accurate directions (even tenths of miles) or better yet, advise the GPS coordinates for either beach 69 or 67?

Mahalo.

Portland, OR
reviews: 38
11. Re: Beach 67

Wow, I guess I was a bit nostalgic when I wrote that.

Yes it is still better than Honolulu/Waikiki or Maui. It is my sincere hope that the ratio of 80% living on Oahu stays the same - this will at least keep the Big Island a bit more serene and slower paced than Honolulu.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 62
12. Re: Beach 67

Echo KK et al

fear not, the other morning I decided to fly the entire west coast to check out the beach scene.... From the ground you cant tell much as the highway sits several miles from the coast, A good thing to me. But from the air you get a good feel for whats what.

I still found some of my favorite sites to be pretty wild and devoid of signs of overuse...... I think they will keep that way for a long time owing to the fact you have to have a serious-lifted and modified 4x4 to get to them ... the kind local residents drive... and you cant rent.

On the down side the major developments at Waikoloa Beach between the mauni lani and the luxury home sites north of the Kona Village and at Hapuna are pretty much all the devlopment effecting the beachs.

on the up side.... places like Pine Tree are being made more accessable to all. as well as restored to their natural environment..... in a few years. of Hawaii time I say up side because with more beaches open, the less each beach is impacted on a whole .

The biggest threat to the Big Island.. is the migration of the cheap-thrill activites from Maui,( which has almost become an amusemant park), which is over saturated with them. to an open market here... The zip lines, 4x4 tours, hang gliding, stunt flying, bungi jumping are really not Hawaii.... better in Orlando, Vegas and Anaheim

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
13. Re: Beach 67

thanks for the aerial report Dan!

For sure there's no way to see it all from a drive by.

I was in the Mauna Lani area and kind of shocked at all the homes and condos ... where are the roads, markets, services, and even beaches to sustain all of this once they're all occupied? Not built yet, in the case of the former. Not enough, in the case of the beach.

One thing I see they're building plenty of, places to buy over-priced resort wear and designer shades ...

Las Vegas, NV
reviews: 1
14. Re: Beach 67

2 years later and here is your answer, to get to "67" beach you can go down Hapuna beach road and pass the parking lot, look for TP pole #67 and pull down that gravel road. Or, drive down Puako road and take the first right, as you drive down the access road you will pass "69" beach or Wailea, you will know because it is the only parking lot with a gate, after you pass the lot you are going to go up a hill and at the top of that hill you take a left down the gravel road next to pole # "67". Park near driveway and please leave room for others, it gets crowded sometimes, or you can pass the driveway and park closer to the trails down to beach (reccomended only if you have 4 wheel drive car).

San Francisco
15. Re: Beach 67

Is there typically good snorkling here in January, or does the high surf limit visibility? Is there an alternative location on the Kona side that is more protected during the winter monthes?

Palm Springs...
reviews: 62
16. Re: Beach 67

the winter swells make the majority of the Kohala coast not pretty and in some cases downright dangerous. Mauna Kea beach is the exception

From Hapuna on down the ares frequently has strong winds blowing off shore with gale force ( 30 + mph)

The snorkeling in this area , in good times. is marginal to poor....in bad times it is pretty worthless. If you snorkel in SF bay .however, it will seem wonderful

With few exceptions, ( Mauni Lani's boat house beach)

all the really good or nice sites are south of the airport because of its shelter from the winds and swell. Puako has an offshore but is better suited for divers more than snorklers due to difficult entry . You can try it....and maybe you will enjoy it...bit you would be far wiser to drive south to Kona....or 2 step.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
17. Re: Beach 67

well, learned something today ...

about Beach 67, which I googled, and found directions to it on gaycities.com and other gay Hawai'i sites.

I think the original poster was looking for Beach 69, which is in Revealed.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
18. Re: Beach 67

no, I'm wrong again, the OP's few posts on TA are almost all on nude sunbathing topics.

sf, like Dan said, the water here is pretty treacherous in the winter. Even in summer water can be rough at 69, more suitable to bodysurfing than snorkeling. Other days it's nice for snorkeling, hit and miss. You might get a good day in January, but it's not the norm to have calm water in winter.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 689
19. Re: Beach 67

Follow Bodai's instructions and you'll find it easily from the Puako Rd. off the main highway. We went last week took a look and left. The waves were huge. It was mainly locals, one guy seemed to live in his car there! There was mostly shade and we wanted to snorkel and find the sun. Not a good place for us. Very pretty though. Looked good for surfing.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
20. Re: Beach 67

so it wasn't dominated by nude sunbathers?

also, I assume there are no lua's there or facilities?

I think the shade is kiawe trees, if it's like Beach 69, which drop the wickedest thorns in the sand. One will go all the way through a slipper sole and into your foot. Be careful of kiawe thorns, they are no joke.