We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Location - which area best to rent?

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Herts
reviews: 6
Location Location - which area best to rent?

I'm trying to make my mind up between 2 properties to rent for our 4 night stay in Volcano in April (just me and my partner). I like them both so I think it comes down to which area is the best to stay. One is up near the golf course and winery and the other on the other side of town off the highway in Nahelenani Street. I know I would have to drive to the village from both properties, and the golf course one would be nearer to the park, but are there any other considerations, safety, crime, views etc?

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
1. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

Can you please provide links to the listings? There should be a map link. People here will probably not relate to a street name, rather a subdivision name is what's useful. I looked up Nahelenani and it's in Ohia Estates adjacent to Mauna Loa Estates. I think that whole bloc is good.

The golf course area is drier, and is a different kind of forest. It may get a little more vog from the vent, but can't really say without a map location (and even then may not be able to say without going there).

You have to be more specific about location and provide links before we can comment on view. The ad should provide view angles from the rentals.

The only thing I can say from this info is that the second one will be more in the drippy fern forest, and the golf course one will be sunnier. Some people want the rain forest ambience, others don't.

Herts
reviews: 6
2. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

Thanks thats helpful. Yes 2nd place is Ohia estates, not sure about the 1st other than in same road as winery. My main concern is that they are safe and not high crime area.

Kona
reviews: 36
3. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

Volcano village, and its environs, is not a high crime area.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
4. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

The subdivisions at the top (environs, as wahine said) are fine. It's when you head down Highway 11 and you hit neighborhoods that are the cheapest land in Hawai'i, that you can encounter no end of weirdness (along with some very nice folks, it is mixed, not all bad).

For a first visit, I really can't recommend Eden Roc, Royal Hawaiian Estates, Fern Forest Estates, Aloha Estates, Fern Acres, Hawaiian Acres, Ainaloa, Nanawele, Hawaiian Beaches or Shores, and am split on Orchidland, ditto with most of Hawaiian Paradise Park that is not makai side of Beach Road. (Not a comprehensive list.)

For people who have already stayed in and explored Puna, who are somewhat savvy about it and know where they fit and don't fit, that's a different story. I think first timers should stick to the very tried and true places like Volcano Village, Country Club, Mauna Loa/Ohia Estates, Kapoho Vacationland & Beach Lots, Leilani Estates, Kehena, maybe Kalapana, definitely HPP oceanfront/Kaloli Point, maybe Hawaiian Beaches oceanfront, Puna Palisades (next to Kehena). Of Hilo and north of Hilo.

There

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 10
5. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

I'll vouch for Mauna Loa Estates (I'm assuming it's in the same vicinity as Ohia Estates). Stayed there two years ago. Felt very safe, and it was quiet. There seemed to be a lot of nice rentals down there. Very close to town for meals out.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
6. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

Yes, that's where Volcano Village Lodge is.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
7. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

I really like the area too, VVL is where we usually stay.

8. Re: Location Location - which area best to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 17, 2014