We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lebanon, New Jersey
reviews: 104
Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

Will be staying in Volcano in August. If we spend the day in Hilo and stay there for dinner, is it a difficult drive back to Volcano in the dark? I've read some comments about the roads after dark, but am not sure if that applies to the roads we would be one. Appreciate any advice that can be given.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
1. Re: Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

No, it's not difficult. It is very dark, but it's a fairly straight shot and only about 40 minutes. Just normal dark conditions and weather cautions as you can get some torrential rains, but pretty much any experienced driver can handle.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

It's a straight road up the mountain, two lane from Kurtisown. Typical conditions are dark, rainy, lots of headlights, reasonable amount of reflectors helps. DUI issue and drivers in drugs, of some concern, kind of a matter of luck. Accident rate on the road, it seems like at least one major a week.

As long as you've already driven the road, I wouldn't hesitate, as long as the weather isn't awful. Weather really makes a difference.

I don't recommend that people here for the first time drive it straight off the plane after a long flight. Any of our highwys deserves to be driven by daylight before tackling it at night.

3. Re: Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:42 pm, May 22, 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
4. Re: Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

Not a bad drive. Just be sure to take note of how to get back to your lodgings. :-) It will be pretty dark in/around Volcano.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
5. Re: Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

I think my response is more conservative because, living on the east side, I'm keenly aware of the horrible driving in Puna. So many drivers on revoked licenses and uninsured, no safety check, DUIs. So many drug users.

Beyond that, the weird mix or different driving styles. It's a very simple road I terms of the physical navigation, but then why all the wrecks. By the way, I drive 130 from Kea'au to Hilo after I posted last, and sure enough there was a wreck in the divided highway portion. Traffic totally stopped in the Volcano bound lane, ambulance, sirens ...

Beautiful dry sunny afternoon, can't blame the weather this time.

If you only drive it occasionally, you probably don't see that side of it.

I think it's fine for the OP to do, but statistically speaking I think there are quite a few more wrecks than you see Kona side.

Edited: 10:04 pm, May 22, 2012
6. Re: Driving at night from Hilo to Volcano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 am, June 21, 2013