We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey where is tne lava

Which Volcano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
reviews: 17
Hey where is tne lava

I realize this site is somewhat anemic but we are coming the first week of April and when you go to the gov site it says" lava going to po'u but not ocean" What does that mean? Where can you see the lava if anywhere? Thanks

San Diego, CA
reviews: 85
11. Re: Hey where is tne lava

wow - thanks so much for that info - I am glad my teen will be going - I think its great to see first hand the power or nature in its most raw state. I feel bad for this person - I have known people on the east coast who say "why would you live in California with all the earthquakes?" - but no matter where you go mother nature is watching - again thanks for the updates. I am getting so excited about our trip!!! yeah yeah yeah!

illinois
12. Re: Hey where is tne lava

Thanks everyone, based on the gov link it looks like theKalapana site (run by the County) may be our best option at nite. If you hear naything new please post by April 6 and we will keep checking the gov sites (even though I don't understand half the terms on the US site!)

illinois
13. Re: Hey where is tne lava

Oops, sorry about typos (also sorry about earlier anemic reference to this forum but we were used to Puerto Vallarta forum where there would be 40 posts per day) I wish TA had spell check

illinois
14. Re: Hey where is tne lava

We just heard on the Kalapana hotline, 808-961-961-8093 that lava is visible there after a 1/2 mile walk. Anyone done that within last 7 days? What should you bing? It is also unclear how long the county park is open but you must arrive before 8pm.

Arroyo Grande...
15. Re: Hey where is tne lava

Use the Big Island Forum ... not the little sub forums. I don't know why TA breaks down these forums so small. I assume that others like myself simply pull up an Island of _____ Forum or the whole State forum.

Don't hold your breath ... oops! Bad choice of words! Don't get your heart set on seeing flowing lava. Odds are that you won't. It's not a TV show. And the gasses, as well as the heat and fragile nature of the surface you walk on may prohibit you from getting too close.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
16. Re: Hey where is tne lava

We have a lava guide expert in this forum, but he doesn't have time to make endless posts, nor do the rest of us have time to reply to every "how to see lava" topic that gets generated.

Because it is a situation where the same information applies to everyone, we have a resource topic that is long-running. Please post to it with lava questions.

Lava Viewing 2012

put that in Island of Hawaii forum search box and you'll find it.

Island of Hawai'i has a number of barely used subforums. The only subforums with much use are K-K, Kohala Coast, and Hilo. I always read the forum at the Island level so as to see all the topics, and so do most people.

The Volcano forum you are in is not even the right one for lava, because this is for Volcano VILLAGE and there is a whole separate forum for HVNP. And then neither of those covers Kalapana, as that area would be covered by the PAHOA subforum ... and who would even realize that who doesn't know the island quite well?

So best to use the Island level forum.

Actually I think it is great that we don't have a zillion new topics, as people get taken care of better when their topics aren't constantly being bumped to the second page. I love that most people tend to start their personal planning topic and more or less stick to it.

illinois
17. Re: Hey where is tne lava

KamaaainaK, Lava viewing 2012 is a great site-especially the easy link to webcams. I was unaware of the myriad forums and assumed Volcano would be the place to start- my bad. Thanks

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
18. Re: Hey where is tne lava

No bad, greg. :) Volcano forum does seem like it would be the one!

Our LV 2012 topic tends to get buried when there is no big lava news.

You know what, you have reminded me that I could put the topic in the Top Questions for this forum. I will get on that ... thanks!

Pahoa
19. Re: Hey where is tne lava

Well aloha! I would recommend Kalapana Cultural Tours or Volcano Discovery for any lava viewing in Kalapana. On the Kalapana Cultural Tours website you could get an idea of were the Lava is at right now. Check out there blog page which they upload everyday on the lava progress. Here's there website. www.kalapanaculturaltours.com

20. Re: Hey where is tne lava

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:12 pm, June 12, 2013