We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

Which Keauhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montana
reviews: 1
Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

I've been doing some reading, and I'm wondering about staying in Keauhou in June.

My husband and I have been to the BI once before at the end of May, and we stayed at the Kanaloa Resort. We liked the location, as it was close to good snorkeling both at Keauhou and Two Step. It was also convenient to be close to Kona for grocery shopping.

We've just booked tickets for mid-June. We'll be bringing our 8 year old daughter with us. She's been to Maui and Kauai, and she loved digging in the sand and hauling buckets of water. But she'll be older this trip and will be able to do some snorkeling.

We're debating where to stay. I don't mind the older condos in Keauhou, and I like the proximity to great snorkeling. We tend to eat breakfast and dinner in the condo, so we don't really need to be near great restaurants.

I am concerned about VOG and not having much sun if we stay in Keauhou as opposed to the Kohala area. Is this a valid concern? I know my kiddo will prefer the beaches near Kohala to the rocks at Keauhou.

So any thoughts or advice?

57 replies to this topic
Montana
51. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

I have found two condos at the Keauhou Resort, on the Kona Country Club, that have been recently remodeled for $680 to $700 (inclusive of tax and cleaning fees). Both have views of the ocean, but are not on the ocean. These are one bedroom condos.

I have also found two condos I like in the Fairway Villas in the Waikoloa beach resort area for $985 (inclusive of tax and cleaning fees). The Fairway Villa condos are two bedroom condos. They, of course, do not have ocean views.

So I'm wondering about the difference in price ($300) and where to stay. I know it's subjective. I know that I want some pretty skies and less gray days. The picture thread comparing the beaches was pretty compelling. I'm less familiar with the snorkeling near Kohala area than I am with Kailua-Kona area. But it sounds like snorkeling may be pretty good in Kohala.

Any input on these two condo complexes, specifically? Thank you!

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
52. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

It's important to say what month, weather patterns and ocean conditions vary.

Montana
53. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

I'm sorry, it's in my initial post: mid June (11th through 18th).

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
54. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

You are asking us to compare apples and oranges not just of the areas but the condos too. Keauhou Resort is far from the ocean and even the units with ocean views will have very limited and distant views. It's a very old condo complex right on Kamehameha III Road. I certainly would pick the Fairway Villas of the two properties you asked about.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
55. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

I agree with TT, the Fairway Villas would be my pick of the two, and yes, you'll get prettier skies and better weather, and the snorkelling is great at many places on the Kohala coast, as good and better than the popular Kona area sites, and less crowded.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
56. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

kureiff,

duh, I'm sorry, I was reading on my phone's small screen and didn't realize the question was coming from you. Dumb as that sounds ... I was multi-tasking. Sorry!

I thought that you had decided on Keauhou, and assumed the question was from a new person joining in.

So you are still debating the location...

well, I think this is not going to change, the sky will be bluer in Kohala, especially in afternoons, and the beaches are much more like what kids imagine when thinking going to the beach.

You can still walk around shopping areas and such up north, but the shops are going to be more expensive. OTOH, I like the fact there are a lot fewer cars, and it's extremely safe in the evening at WBR, and you won't have to worry about the people hanging out like you might in the center of Kailua (there's no real walking and shopping scene in Keauhou).

The water is calm enough in June for beginning snorkelers in Kohala.

Montana
57. Re: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June

KK, oh, I know...the little screens are hard to see and navigate!

Thank you all for your responses and advice. I think we'll book the Kohala condo. I truly appreciate the time you all take to read and respond.

Reply to: Staying south of Kailua-Kona in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted