We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Which Waimea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 2
Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Does anyone know if there was any damage to the MK hotel, the grounds or the beach or if there has been any change in service as a result of the recent Tsunami? The hotel website says it's business as usual, but I wanted to get a traveler's first hand report. Many thanks.

California
reviews: 3
1. Re: Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

According to previous reports, the hotel and the beach escaped damage.

Hawaii
2. Re: Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

That is correct; the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is in pristine condition. The Tsunami did not affect the property in any way.

The Hague
reviews: 28
3. Re: Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Can anyone tell me also what are the best rooms? In the main building or in the Plumeria building?

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 2
4. Re: Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

We just returned from the MKBH, and we agree with above posts that the hotel was not impacted by the recent tsunami except for a possible increase in the number of guests due to the closure of the nearby Four Seasons and Kona Village. We've stayed in all parts of the hotel over the years, and the rooms have all been lovely. Where you stay depends a bit on your budget. An ocean view room would be preferable, but those rooms are also more expensive. Some people like the lower rise Plumeria wing since it may be a little easier to get to the beach and the pool area. (An expanse of grass, palm trees and low vegetation separate that building from the beach.) Families seem to like it because there are first floor rooms that enter out onto the grass. Those rooms don't have the best view of the water however, and there is less privacy because people can walk by the rooms. On our last 2 visits, we've stayed in the main building overlooking the ocean. The view is spectacular, and it is very private even if you are out on your balcony. It is still very easy to access the beach and the restaurants. I really don't think you can go wrong at this hotel. I wish that we were still there.

5. Re: Tsunami Damage to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 28, 2012