We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I regret not touring VNP?

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
reviews: 12
Will I regret not touring VNP?

I'll be on the NCL POA cruise next May and am really torn about how to spend our limited time in Hilo. We'll be in port from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and I really want to get a feel for the volcanic character of the island. After we leave, we may have an opportunity to see lava flowing into the sea -- but it looks like that may be my only opportunity to actually see a lava flow. Checking out ship's excursions and other tours available, I see a lot of disclaimers "you will not see lava flowing on this tour." If that is the case, I can live with it so I looked for an interesting tour itinerary. I booked a tour called "Secrets of Puna" that includes a visit to the village of Kalapana, black sand beach/Kaimu Bay, MacKenzie State Park, and Lava Tree State Park. I like the variety, but it does NOT visit VNP. The ship does have a few other tours that do visit VNP, including a biking tour. I'm just not sure they'll be all that interesting if there is no lava to be seen. So for those of you who are really familiar with this area -- will I regret not visiting VNP? There is still time to change my tour choice. Thanks!

punaverse
reviews: 1
31. Re: Will I regret not touring VNP?

I live here and regularly go to HVNP, it never gets old. Some parts are at times closed due to the VOG from the crater but the rangers can clue you in when you get there. Thurston Lava tube, the crater overlook, and the bird watching/listening walk are all easy to see and the chain of craters road is pretty amazing, as are the petroglyphs. We like to take a lunch, if you are driving I'd pick lunch up in Hilo at Short and Sweet bakery, and then drive out Hilina Pali road for lunch. You can see all the way down to South Point from there. Have fun.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 12
32. Re: Will I regret not touring VNP?

Thanks, I've been trying to figure out what to do about lunch!

33. Re: Will I regret not touring VNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 16, 2014