We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
reviews: 38
Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Nobody stay there. Almost every review gives it 1 star. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at..it was even worse than the small crappy hotel I stayed at a few years ago in London (Shakespeare-another hotel to avoid).

It doesn't look so bad from the outside but once you get it, its gets bad. I was also surprised they gave me a standard metal key. I mean how many hotels use keys anymore instead of cards?

The hotel is extremely run down and beat up. I honestly do not know how it stays in business. I am sure it gets very little repeat business and most unsuspecting guests are unaware just how bad it is when they book.

Forget the renovations, they should just take a wrecking ball to the place.

Yuck!

Palm Springs...
reviews: 68
1. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

and its the best in town.!!!!!!....... another reason to stay in Volcano....anywhere...... but in town.

Hamakua Coast, BI
2. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Unless you stay at a B&B. I have had people stay long term at Uncle Billy's and said it was fine for their needs. Stayed in a studio. The Naniloa has been boudght recently and the new owner says he plans to completely renovate it to provide a upgraded hotel experience in Hilo. We will see.

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
3. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

You mean someone really give it a star? Even one? Friends don't let friends to stay in a hotel in Hilo. :)

Rochester,NY
reviews: 4
4. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

I agree. We stayed at the Naniloa a few years ago and it was baaad! After complaining about our musty-smelling, dirty standard room, we were "upgraded" to a junior suite which was only marginally better. The carpets and draperies were worn and stained, and the windows were all bolted shut. The hotel is located on beautiful Hilo Bay, and the open air lobby is quite nice. Unfortunately, that is the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. We're not super-picky people when it comes to accomodations, but this place was definitely not acceptable to us.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
5. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

I would never recommend the Naniloa. Stayed one night, never again. Depressing.

Uncle Billy's oceanfront rooms are better than the standard rooms.

the mynah birds are loud on the courtyard side, and the parking lot is noisy on the other side during the day.

Some people I know like the Hilo Hawaiian OK. I haven't stayed there.

When I say like it OK, I don't mean for the ideal Hawaiian vacation. Lots of people come over from West Hawaii and want to stay the night to do business, errands, visit. All they want is a place to lay their head, and Uncle Billy's and Hilo Hawaiian are OK for that ... but STILL even those folks don't like the Naniloa, so that tells me something.

These "hotels" are OK in the way a motel 6 can be useful.

Visitors to Hilo on an upscale or moderate vacation should check into the B&B and vacation rental options. There are many nice places to stay; it's just not hotel and condo territory like on the other side of the island. For budget travel, there are mom and pop vacation rentals that are nice and homey for about the same price as these tired hotels.

Kauai / Los Angeles
6. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Hmmm, so much for lodging in the Hilo area! My father-in-law just bought land somewhere "in the homesteads" west of UH Hilo. I think the street is something like Naauao. Apparently the big plus for the land (besides being close to some of the relatives) was the big lychee tree!!

He's talking about retiring, building a house on this property and moving from the mainland. I figured we would probably be helping out quite a bit, so I'd look in advance for possible places to stay. We can't always just show up at the relatives door if it's the four of us, drat!

Guess we'll have to be looking at condo's and such, huh?

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
7. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

hi Kwils,

Hilo isn't known for nice condos, far as I know, never became condoized, most multi-family zoning is apartments, not condos, and is long term rental territory. Student housing as well.

The good news is there are homes and ohanas available as vacation rentals. You'll find something. I know of a studio, but it sounds like you'll need more room.

That property you mentioned -- in Hilo we'd say it's mauka of the university rather than west. It's up Kaumana almost to Kaumana Caves, about parallel in elevation to Boiling Pots.

USA
reviews: 11
8. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Have never stayed at the Naniloa but we have stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian several times over the last 10 years. I can tell from other posts that I am in the minority here but I like the Hilo Hawaiian. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing it to a resort. We stay at the Sheraton on the Kona side but for Hilo this is not a bad place. We have always had a room overlooking Hilo Bay and have enjoyed watching the everchanging sky across the bay and over the mountains. You don't go to Hilo expecting a resort but if you want to be on the water the HH is not a bad choice at all. We've seen more rainbows from our HH balcony than from any other place in Hawaii.

It IS old, it IS tired, but it's clean and the staff is polite. The restaurant, Queen's Court, is frequented by locals. I don't like the restaurant except for breakfast when the view is wonderful and the food acceptable. People on thie forum seem to love Ken's Pancake House. To me Ken's is nothing special. I suppose the food is good but other than that it's not my taste. I'd rather have a view any day!

Kauai / Los Angeles
9. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Thanks for the info KamaainaK. I really have no idea what's around that area so we'll just have to wing it when the time comes - or ask more questions here!

Yeah, we would say mauka on Kauai too, but I was using the description provided by the in-laws! :)

Is it close enough to see or hear the airport?

Phoenix
reviews: 38
10. Re: Hotel Naniloa is terrible!

Ha!

I am glad the feeling is not mutual.

I think the name should be changed to "Hotel No-niloa" or

"Hotel Naniloadacrapa"