We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 4
3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

My boyfriend and I are going to BI in November for 8 days. We'll fly in Hilo and plan to spend 3 nights in Hilo before heading to Kona.

Originally I booked 3 nights at Hilo seaside hotel, but after reading topics, I think spending 1 or 2 nights in Volcano might be a good idea as I'm keen to explore VNP.

The question is "should we do 1 night or 2 nights"?

Here's our plan...

Day 1 Thurs.: fly in Hilo around 6:30 pm, check in Hotel

Day 2 Fri: Japanese garden, coconut island, checking out Hilo downtown Stay in Hilo

Day 3 Sat: Drive from Hilo to Volcano, explore VNP and stay at the cottage found through VRBO

Day 4 Sun: Heading out to Black sand beach and visit a few Kona Coffee Plantation on the way to Kailua-Kona

Any thoughts on if we should stay in Volcano for Day 2 & 3 or just Day 3?

Vancouver, Canada
11. Re: 3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

Thanks TheodoreJay,

I wish I could add more days, but our 8days are set. Probably we'll miss the Hamakua Coast sites, but we always can come back for that in future.

Dinner in Pahoa sounds good. We'd like to try Kaleo's. Also I read there is a micro brewery, we'd like to try some beer as well.

Also thanks for a tip on Kona side.

We did a loop of South to North Kohala last time we stayed Kaikua-Kona, and did a trail down Pololu Valley and snorkeling at Hapuna Beach, where a sea turtle showed up and swim along with me. That was when I fell in love with BI. Main event we are planning this time is "Manta Ray night dive (snorkel)"! I haven't booked the tour yet, but we definitely do this for sure.

Now that I have a better picture of our trip in November and can't wait to get there to experience all wonderful things you guys recommended!

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
12. Re: 3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

>>> I assume it's better situation for car break-ins in VNP if we do some more trails on Day4 after checking out the cottage?

Right, the VNP isn't the place where the scum tend to hang out. Lower Puna you have to be vigilant.

Lava Tree, Ahalanui, Isaac Hale, Kehena I would rate as the most sketchy.

Pahoa Village, Kalapana, Kapoho secondary.

California
reviews: 3
13. Re: 3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

You're missing the Hamakua Coast? To me that's the most scenic part of the BI, a lot more interesting than the southern route to Kona.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
14. Re: 3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

It's a really long day but I too would drive the Hamakua Coast route to the west side rather than go the southern/Kau route.

I think Paolo's in Pahoa is much better than Kaleo's.

15. Re: 3 nights Hilo/Volcano itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 14, 2013