We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Falls, MT
reviews: 2
VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

ASAP...any information on this place we are thinking of renting would be helpful...such as the weather and the area.

Thank you,

Ebbie Bliss

Keaau, Hawaii
reviews: 97
1. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

There is no map location that I could find, so I can't say for certain where this house is located. However, I strongly suspect that it's in Hawaiian Paradise Park. If that is the case, the owner understates the time it will take to drive from the house to Hilo. Even in the best of traffic, plan on at least half an hour to downtown Hilo.

The location has it's pluses and minuses. On the plus side, you'll get much more in the way of accommodations for the money than you would get in Hilo proper, and you'll get a good deal more privacy and calm. You'll be significantly closer to the Kapoho Tide Pools, the Warm Pond and the town of Pahoa. The distance to Volcanos National Park will be about the same as from Hilo. On the negative side you will have to drive to everything except a walk along the sea cliffs. No strolling down the block for a latte.

As for the weather, there are lots of microclimates in East Hawai'i. It could be sunny in Hilo and rain in HPP. However, statistically this house location is drier than Hilo. The temperature should be about the same.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

It is certainly a lot of house for the money, even in HPP, at $95 a night.

Someone else asked about it recently, but there wasn't much discussion. I could tell it was HPP, and the area south of Kaloli Point, because that's the only place there are one acre lots that close to the ocean.

Tonight I ran a search of the forum for you and found a query from 2006, in which the person knew the location, and said it is on 2nd Street off of Paradise, which is two blocks from the ocean. However, it is probably a mile to the shoreline area south of Maku'u on Ala Heiau where the fishermen go.

As BackpackerNM said, you can't get in the ocean there. You can go look at it.

The area is working hard on its issues with home break-ins, but it is an issue in the subdivision, typically in the daytime. Rentals being known for what they are, and houses that have no guard dogs, are a target.

That said, a lot of people really enjoy staying in this area. If you have a taste for rural living and don't mind some cinder roads and catchment water, some of the places are lovely oases with wonderful gardens.

Just know you are not in town or near town. The village of Kea'au has a shopping center and is maybe ten minutes away. From there it is six miles to Hilo at 45-55 mph and four lane divided highway.

Without knowing more about you, hard to know if you would like it. Are you staying on both sides of the island? What are you looking for? Is this your first visit?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
3. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

Ebbie, I am not a local expert by any stretch of the imagination, but have rented vacation properties through VRBO for over 10 years.......to me the rental rate is so low, that if makes me wonder why......ask a lot of questions from the owner and get everything in writing.......ie: when were the pictures on the website taken ?......is the pool an above the ground type pool ?......how far from noise or dusty roads is the house ?........how far is the house from neighbors, are the neighbors quiet ?.......why are all the windows covered in paper ??.......just a few that come to mind for me with just a quick look at their website......

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
4. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

Good questions ...

The pool is an above ground and that is the standard in HPP. The ground there is lava flow, not dirt, and excavating for a pool costs big bucks. Instead, people install an above ground and build a raised deck around it so tou don't have to climb a ladder to get in.

The rates on a rental may reflect the owners cost. The price of land near the ocean in HPP has greatly increased in the last decade. Building costs have jumped too. A recently bought and built house would have far greater break even needs than one that hasn't changed hands for some time, which might even be paid off.

That said, it is odd there are no reviews. People ask about it but so far no one has come back and said they've stayed there.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
5. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

I am curious now. I will be down in Kea'au next week and might have time to drive by and check out the site. It's on an acre lot, so it may be well screened though.

Any other HPP rentals people are wondering about? ;-)

Mombear's point about how old photos might be is a good one. One hopes that photos are not going to be deceptive. OTOH, enough people know of TA that VRBO's that are disasters and not as advertised are often exposed by the unhappy guests.

Edited: 4:18 pm, August 28, 2011
Canada
reviews: 24
6. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

Not an expert on the area....just evaluating the VRBO ad ....

*The price is suspect for the size and amenities of the property.(Even given it's lack of an updated decor)

*I would never rent a property that did not have at least 1 pic of kitchen and bathroom.

What's that old adage....If it seems to be too good to be true......

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
7. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

>>> why are all the windows covered in paper ??

mombear, it is traditional Japanese architectural design. Those are Shoji windows.

Note to my earlier post made when I was on my phone -- now that I see the photos again, it looks like it can be viewed from the street.

I remain open on it ...

When I had a rental in Hilo, we only charged $50 a night, because we wanted to be really competitive. It was a cute rental, very clean, everything as shown in the photos, high end linens ... it was just small and we wanted people to leave feeling like they got a great deal.

The price is indeed very low, but remember it is not oceanfront. Hale LavaLava which is oceanfront goes for $125, and I know it is real nice.

A lot of owners in HPP (like the owner of LavaLava) are not trying to make a living off vacation rentals. They have bought retirement homes and they are just paying the bills to cover it until they can get over here. Some people have a mortgage, and others do not or it is low.

Great Falls, MT
8. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

thanks everyone. I did request more photos so far nothing.

Great Falls, MT
9. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

I did find another one, also in Keaau, Puna district..any help on this would be appreciated too.

.www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p270522

This place looks awesome can you tell me anything about the area. there will be 2 couples staying there ..no children

Thank you,

E Bliss

Chicago
reviews: 634
10. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

As an owner of several properties I list with VRBO (none on the Big Island at this time) I realize there are many issues when renting a listed property. There is no consistant rating system to indicate what you will be commiting to for a vacation. In many cases many listings aren't even licensed or fail to meet local and state requirements for short term rentals.

I have had good experience renting VRBO listed properties when I travel, but it is always risky. Right now, many deals can be had with VRBO listed properties simply by asking the owner if s/he will discount the property for your stay. I get the 'please discount' request about once a week. It all depends on how hungry the owner is when making your request.

When I have rented properties I have requested to have the line, "If for any reason we are not happy with the property on arrival we can cancel with a full refund."

The local experts may know more about your exact properties.

One idea would be for the local VRBO's to give the TA Destination Experts tours of their property because they can be a wealth of good information.