We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kealakekua or Honaunau?

Which Captain Cook hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holly Springs, NC
reviews: 33
Kealakekua or Honaunau?

I am planning our family (2 parents, 2 teens) trip to the Big Island next year, and after making a circuitous ramble around the island we will settle in the Kona area for about 5 nights. I've got two good possibilities for lodging - each are walking distance to the water, one is just next door to the Pu'uhonua O Honaunau Historical park, and the other is a stone's throw from Manini Beach at Kealakekua.

So, calling all experts, any advantage one over the other? We plan to snorkel and relax and soak in nature's beauty!

Thanks in advance!

Tampa, FL USA
reviews: 31
1. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

I'm no expert, but can tell you that I'd choose the place near Pu'unhonau O Honaunau (Place of Refuge). I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the park and the great diving/snorkel site just north of it (often called Two Step). Place of Refuge is considered sacred by Hawaiians, and there is "just something" about it that was extra relaxing and beautiful.

Kealakekua was also beautiful, I think that is where we did a quick stop but didn't swim (not sure there was a good entry? you'll want to check on that).

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
2. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

What time of year? Ask about seasonal water conditions at Manini in case entry/exit is difficult sometimes. TwoStep can also be difficult, but there is another way in that Bill told me, via the boat ramp. It's a little tricky to swim out that way and you have to watch for boat traffic.

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
3. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

I wouldn't chose either of them. They both are in an area with really nothing else nearby. No stores, no restaurants, etc. Stay in Kona and drive to those places when you want to visit them.

Holly Springs, NC
4. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

We're going in June. Thanks for the reply!

Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 5
5. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

Next door to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau will be noisy with traffic and people coming and going, it may sound ideal but when people are running around to go to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau and two step starting at dawn until dusk you will wish for more privacy. Manini Beach is going to be a long way off from anything and after one day you will be tired of the commute to everything else you want to do.. We have property in this area so I know.. You have 2 teens so you may just want to be near things to entertain them.. like Kua Beach, White Sands Beach, Kahalu'u Beach Park, markets, farmers markets etc.. I agree with TT, check out Kailua-Kona.

Portland, OR
reviews: 38
6. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

I concur with TT on this one. I recommend staying elsewhere with better access to amenities and necessities and driving to destinations.

Good luck and happy travels!

Holly Springs, NC
7. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

I guess I should've given a few more details, we'll have spent about 5 days traveling around the island before settling in the capt cook-kona area,- a few nights up in Kohala area (in time for the Kamahameha holiday), and a few nights at Volcano. So I'm thinking these last 5 days are going to be less traveling around, more exploring in depth what's close-by...but if there's NOTHING close by, then that matters too! Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
8. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

Other than the immediate shoreline, you will be doing a lot of driving UP and DOWN to the main highway. Like over 1000 feet elevation change on winding roads each way; can be daunting in the dark.

Bracebridge, Ontario
reviews: 30
9. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

Given your itinerary I would suggest the Kona area as the other areas are not far and there is very little to do there. Preferably the south end of Kona along Alii Drive, if you want recommendations on places let us know.

10. Re: Kealakekua or Honaunau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2010