We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible move to rock springs

Which Rock Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
possible move to rock springs

I am looking for any information on the rock springs area. The people there,schools, housing, ect. my husband was offered a job their snd would like to move there but i am not sure. we currently live in minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes, and well the pictures i have seen is all dirt, is there any grass there or trees? any information would be great.

Thank you,

samjax2@yahoo.com

Saint Paul...
reviews: 44
1. Re: possible move to rock springs

I am a fairly big fan of City-Data.com if you have not already found it.

city-data.com/city/Rock-Springs-Wyoming.html

From a Minnesotan perspective.....the landscape will seem very stark and you will long for greenness....about the same as you likely feel in late March after months of MN white - but all year 'round. In town there will be lawns and trees that have been planted but the "native" flora is suited to the very arid, almost desert like, climate. Due to the harsh climate and the lack of vegetation there is very little "soil" (as you would think of it). Consider all this very carefully because it really is very different from Minnesota. A lot depends on how adaptable you are and what you can get used to as "normal".

On the flip side there is a lot of natural beauty in the area and Flaming Gorge Res. not too far away. At higher elevations around there there are trees (mostly short pine). It will be similar in temperature variation through the seasons but much windier and a lot more sunshine with lower humidity.

If you are in the Twin Cities area you will likely find housing to be a lot less expensive and Wyoming has no state income tax. Energy "exit" taxes on coal and oil help subsidize a lot of government expenses, such as for water projects.

As for people...from our many trips to and through Wyoming we've found them to by large be very friendly and helpful. It's a tough environment and people learned early on to work together to survive. At the same time they are very independant and self-reliant and value their "space". Probably a bit more conservative than MN (especially right in Mpls-St. Paul and up on the Iron Range).

Saint Paul...
reviews: 44
2. Re: possible move to rock springs

While looking at the City-Data info I noted the nearby

Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport....

somebody out there has a sense of humor. ;)

http://www.navinfo.org/apt.php?id=48U

Aliens beware when landing!!!....debris the full length of the runway...mostly broken bottles and fireworks debris.

3. Re: possible move to rock springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rock Springs
More Rock Springs Topics