We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landslide?

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
reviews: 15
Landslide?

I was just about to book 2 nights in Jackson as part of a Yellowstone-Grand Teton trip when I read the news about the slow moving landslide in Jackson. Should I consider staying elsewhere? I'm not really worried about any particular motel being taken out by the landslide (I assume anything at risk woulds be off limits), more concerned about disruptions and road closures, etc.

1. Re: Landslide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:57 am, April 21, 2014
Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
reviews: 64
2. Re: Landslide?

The potential landslide is in the middle of town, off Budge Drive not near Teton Pass. The residences and businesses in the way of harm have been evacuated, including a new Walgreens, the most visibly affected by the landslide. If the landslide did reach the road, there are alternative routes and I'm sure it would be cleaned up quickly, as they do the same with major avalanches. I would not use this as a reason to change your plans.

If you are interested, here is a 24 hour webcam of the area:

townofjackson.com/current/…

3. Re: Landslide?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:57 am, April 21, 2014
Delaware
reviews: 15
4. Re: Landslide?

Thanks for the information and the link. I guess it looks like it's mainly the Walgreen's that's at risk, though the town website that you linked to did mention that water had to be shutdown (I assume temporarily) to one of the motels I was thinking of staying at. I guess I should keep an eye on that particular section of town and perhaps avoid staying there or have a backup plan.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
reviews: 64
5. Re: Landslide?

Hi, the water did need to be shut down temporarily. It should not affect your stay. I am on Nixle so we get daily notices as to what is going on/status etc. A week prior to your stay, sign up for the Jackson Hole Zipcode 83001 and you will have full knowledge over any issues affected this area (and your area too if you are unfamiliar with Nixle.) Its a great notification system, and there is no spam or advertisements. I really cherish it as it has provided us with a wealth of information, especially with road closures/rock slides etc that can affect our commute.

http://www.nixle.com/

Sequim, Washington
reviews: 85
6. Re: Landslide?

This is such a small thing affecting such a small area! Don't believe what you read in the press! They make it sound like a big deal but is isn’t The grading at the base of the hill to build the store caused this! Let the lawyers work that out! Go and have fun!

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 35
7. Re: Landslide?

which motel had the water shut down? we are booked at one near there in one week and are concerned. Thanks

Jackson, Wyoming
8. Re: Landslide?

Please do not minimize this.

"The most pressing issue to the town is protecting a 12-inch water main under West Broadway. It provides about a third of Jackson with water. If broken it would flood the town with 2 million gallons of water in 30 or 40 minutes", Town of Jackson Public Works Director Larry Pardee

If it does break this could result in 4 mil gallons of water per hour. That could be a issue!

I'd visit West Yellowstone or Teton Valley Id vgor now. I'd visit Jackson, Wy once they have secured that slide and the water main is safe!!!

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 35
9. Re: Landslide?

We are spending half our vacation in Yellowstone already. How much of a flood could the water main breaking make? It is too bad the developers received approval for the grading! IMHO perhaps this could have been avoided if they had consulted a geologist?

10. Re: Landslide?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 30, 2015