We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 33
Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

We are looking to do some snowshoes , for a Tetonbill post I found Granite Canyon trailhead but I cant find enough info about how difficult is the trail , how well marked and safe for traveling with 2 kids

Any info or any other option ?

Thanks

Best regards from the sunshine state

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
1. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

From the trailhead, the trail goes almost due west through open pasture and is quite flat and very safe. After a mile or so (just going by memory here), the trail goes into the woods and crosses a couple of small streams. This is where it might get a little challenging, but should still be ok for beginners. Farther on, the trail begins its climb into the canyon, and gets steep in some parts, so it would be more challenging. As an alternative, as the trail enters the woods it intersects with the Valley Trail, which goes north and south and is very flat in that area. You could hike south to Teton Village if you wanted.

Another trail to consider with beginners is the trail to Taggart Lake.

Edited: 10:53 pm, October 21, 2013
Miami, Florida
2. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

Thanks for the info ... once the trail goes into the woods it still easy to follow , marked? ...

Which one would you choose for beginners based in views,safety and manageable for the kids ...

I would rather to stay in a marked or easy to follow trail .

Does the trail goes around and return to the same spot the car is parked or should I plan ahead the way back .

How long will it takes the recommended one ... Is there any website to print the trail maps or any other info ..

Thank you in advance , you guys are great help

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
3. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

>once the trail goes into the woods it still easy to follow , marked?

Yes. The park does an excellent job with signs at trail junctions.

>Which one would you choose for beginners based in views,safety and manageable for the kids ...

If on snowshoes, I'd go to Taggart Lake and back. That trail gets a lot of use even in the winter, so large parts of it will be packed down. Very easy hiking.

>Does the trail goes around and return to the same spot the car is parked or should I plan ahead the way back .

All the trails we've discussed so far are out and back by the same route.

>How long will it takes the recommended one

To Taggart Lake and back to the trailhead will take a few hours.

> ... Is there any website to print the trail maps or any other info ..

Here's a site with maps of many park hiking trails:

www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/hike.htm

click on the trail name for a map.

When you're hiking in snow, it's hard to get lost. You just turn around and follow your tracks back the way you came.

Miami, Florida
4. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

Thanks a lot .. you give me a lot of confidence ... Taggart lake is already in the schedule . We will enjoy it for sure , I will post pics

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
5. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

One additional note about the Taggart Lake trail: About a mile or so after you start hiking, you'll come to a fork in the trail, as shown on the trail map. (There's a short trail sign there, but it might be under the snow.) The trail toward the right leads to Bradley Lake. You want to take the fork to the left, which goes to Taggart Lake. However, if it's a clear day, hike a few hundred yards down the fork toward Bradley Lake. The view of the Tetons on that stretch of trail is excellent; great for taking photos.

Miami, Florida
6. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

Will write it on my map ... Thanks

Miami, Florida
7. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

Hi Tetonbill

Making Last minutes adjustments .. Will change the Snowshoes for X country which is more fun for the kids ... Is this trail (Taggart Lake trail) still good for X country or would you suggest Snowshoes for some reason ?

Thank you

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
8. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

I'd do Taggart Lake in snowshoes, unless you have pretty good skills in x-country. Also, right now, there's not a lot of snow on the trails, so you could probably do a large part of this trail just in hiking boots.

Edited: 3:15 pm, December 04, 2013
Miami, Florida
9. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

Thank you for the advise.. X country skills = 10% ..in any case x country spill :) ... ... Im going January first ... Im hopping there is deep snow for that time ... Thank you again

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
10. Re: Is Granite Canyon trailhead snowshoeing too hard for kids

> X country skills = 10%

I'd suggest that you x-county ski on the Teton Park Rd, which is groomed starting at the Taggart Lake parking lot and going north all the way to Jenny Lake. You can ski right out of the same parking lot that you'll use to hike to Taggart Lake. It's a beautiful ski and flat as a board.