We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gardiner, New York
Help with itinerary

We are traveling at the end of August with our two kids (10, and 13). We plan on flying into Bozeman then spending 3 nights based in Gardiner to check out Yellowstone. We will be doing a tour with the Yellowstone Institute focusing on wildlife. Have reservation at Old Faithful Inn one night and planned on going into Jackson for the next 3 nights. We are leaving from Denver so will be driving there from Jackson. We were looking into staying at a dude ranch but seems very expensive. Can anyone recommend outfits that do overnight pack trips maybe with fishing? Also any recommendations of where to stop on way to Denver?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 1
1. Re: Help with itinerary

For fishing either some of the stock outfitters do fly fishing trips besides the usual sight seeing trips or the fly shops have trips from guided days to multi-night. In Gardnier check with Park's fly shop. There are a large number of good shops in West Yellowstone with Blue Ribbon being my first stop. There are a wide variety of trips that can be done. There are outfitters out of every entrance that have a variety of horsepacking trips(and llama). You can signup for a trip they already have scheduled or have them do a custom trip.

I agree the dude ranches seem (are to me) expensive. But you're getting lodging, food, guides, entertainment, horseback riding,...... For my money the best deal along that lines are not the dude ranches but the horse packing trips.

List of Stock Outfitters in Yellowstone

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/stockbusn.htm

For me the best place between Denver and Jackson is Rocky Mountain National Park.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 79
2. Re: Help with itinerary

No suggestions, but would love for you to do a trip report on your Yellowstone experience and especially on your Institute tour when you come back! I am certain it will be a highlight!

Pam

Gardiner, New York
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks for the info- I will look into Rocky Mountain National Park

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
4. Re: Help with itinerary

After you leave Jackson go down thru Lander, WY and then head to Laramie, Cheyenne and on to the Rocky Mt. NP. You will only be about 2 hours from the Denver airport when you leave the RMNP.

5. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 05, 2014