We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 53
Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

We will be staying in Jackson for 4 nights in mid August. We would like to have some adventures with our 3 kids (ages 10 , 9 & 5 1/2) before heading up to Tetons and Yellowstone.

Please receommend a horse riding outfitter that could find a way to include our 5 1/2 yo in the expereince. Similarly question re: a rafting outfitter. Specific recommendations welcome.

Should we make advanced reservations?

Please recommend other adverntures appropriate for these age groups.

Is there a rodeo in town?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
1. Re: Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

The rodeo is every Wed and Saturday nights during the summer.

http://www.jacksonholerodeo.us/

As far as horseback riding for your 5 year old, I thin you'll need to do some calling around to outfitters. My recollection is that most set a minimum age of 6 or 7. Here's a list of some to check with:

jacksonholechamber.com/summer_fun/horseback-…

Groveland...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

For an inexpensive introduction to horses, Jackson Lake Lodge offers pony rides to children for only $5. You don't have to be a guest of the Lodge to use their activities. This Lodge (and also the Colter Bay location) are located within Grand Teton National Park, on the way to Yellowstone.

gtlc.com/activities/outdoor-fun-horses.aspx

Jackson, Wyoming
reviews: 35
3. Re: Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

I see the other posters have replied to the horseback riding, so I will address rafting. A 5 1/2 year old is certainly old enough to go on a scenic float, the minimum age is typically 3-4 depending on the company and section of river rafted. With the ages of your older kids and your desire for adventure, it would be worth it to try a whitewater trip. The posted minimum age for kids is 6, but I know that during August when water levels are lower that guideline is a little more flexible. I would suggest Lewis & Clark, a smaller raft company owned by a family with kids. The owners are on sight daily and can help you decide if whitewater is the right choice for you and your family. You should be able to get a reservation when you arrive, but might save a little money by booking early season rates.

Another fun adventure would be the Alpine Slide the Tram at Teton Village or Scenic Chairlift at Snow King. There's also a climbing wall out at Teton Village that my kids like.

So Cal
reviews: 64
4. Re: Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

We did a scenic float with Barker Ewing when my niece was 5 (almost 6). Perfect for that age, and our guide was great with the kids.

eta: You would *definitely* want to make reservations for whatever float you do.

Edited: 5:39 pm, April 10, 2012
5. Re: Family of 5 with a 5 yo -Horseback riding, rafting,etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, June 19, 2013