We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobille Trip from Dells to Eagle River

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Snowmobille Trip from Dells to Eagle River

Does anyone know how long it would take to go from the Dells to Eagle River, WI by snowmobile? Im hoping it could be done in one day, leaving Dells early morning of course. Has anyone here ever done it?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
1. Re: Snowmobille Trip from Dells to Eagle River

I'm not a snowmobiler, but I find it hard to believe there are uninterrupted trails to go that kind of distance. I would think it would be a logistical nightmare to figure out a route for that distance even if it was possible.

Chicago
reviews: 171
2. Re: Snowmobille Trip from Dells to Eagle River

yes, it can be done....providing favorable trail and weather conditions..... and how experienced you are in riding AND navigating..... in fact, i knew of a group that rode from northern IL to the yoop.... i rode from clintonville (just north of appleton and west of green bay) thru eagle river and north to the yoop in 1 day.....

by road, the dells to eagle river is about 200 miles.... by trail, i would say 250 miles.... if you don't know already, wisc has a very extensive trail network that extends throughout the state..... that being said, this trip can be done in 1 day IF you get out EARLY (like the crack of dawn), the trails are in good shape and not bombed-out, and you follow the route without making too many mistakes and getting lost.... also, you MUST be prepared and monitor the weather forecasts for your entire route!!! it would really suck if you left one day, made it up to ER, then there's a nuclear meltdown in the lower half of the state and you end up riding in mud....or worse....

i don't know your riding history, but i've done many overnighter and multiple nite touring rides over the past 20+ years...... some ranging from just a coupla hundred miles to almost 1000 miles in the canadian wilderness... for a 250 miler in 1 day, plan for a VERY long day.... but in case of issues, plan out on your map an alternate stopover in case you don't make it up to ER... unlike canada and areas of the yoop, wisc trails go thru many farm fields in the southern half, and there are many intersections, which all cost time.... if you can pick up a rr grade (like we did out of clintonville), you can make some good time, especially if the trails are groomed.... speaking of which, if possible, it will be best to do this trip after the weekend, when the masses have left, and the trails are [hopefully] groomed....

before your planned trip, try to contact the sled clubs and/or chambers of commerce along your route and request trail maps---they are invaluable!!! GPS is good to some extent (i regard it as a back-up, at best), but real trail maps are the way to go, IMO..... at 1 time, you could go to the wisc tourist info centers (like the one just over the border along I-94) and pick up a state snowmobile map that showed all the corridor trails.... i couldn't find it online, so i'm not sure if they're still putting it out... i got a coupla old ones from back in the day....

a few links to help you plan:

travelwisconsin.com/snow-conditions-report/s…

http://bigsnowpage.com/

or, you could just wing-it and hope for the best!

happy trails!

ST

3. Re: Snowmobille Trip from Dells to Eagle River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 02, 2014