We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deer Park

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eden Prairie...
reviews: 13
Deer Park

It would be lovely to visit deer and get up close to them. Anyone know of the ethics of this attraction? Is it a bunch of sad animals who cannot run or freely move about? The maps make it look like the pens are very small. I don't want to support a company making money off depressed, penned animals. Anyone have input on this?

4 replies to this topic
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
1. Re: Deer Park

they roam free. A few bigger animals (not deer if memory is right) were house in bigger pens on the one end of the park (elk I believe). Also there's some smaller animals like lemurs in pens. If either of this bother you then maybe it's not the place for you. As for the deer the park is a nice size and they roam freely and have very nice areas. Reading the facts because of their environment here they live significantly longer than in the wild which is one perk for them besides not having to starve/fend for food in the elements. We thought the park was well done with the different styles of roaming areas. They are very happy milling about. When they want to be fed they're out and about and if not they'll duck under the roped area if I'm accurately recalling it (in the center area perhaps they do that). The fallow deer are really unique/neat. I hope that helps some.

Edited: 8:52 am, September 26, 2013
Eden Prairie...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Deer Park

thanks, i appreciate it. :)

Iowa
reviews: 327
3. Re: Deer Park

We loved the deer park:-). The deer have plenty of room to roamike hatchpal said, they have spaces where the tourists can't go if the deer aren't in the mood to interact with people. Most of the deer are quite friendly, and will follow you around for a treat.

Most of the animals have decent sized enclosures. Besides the deer, there's goats, rabbits, horses, elk, bison, pigs, racoon, probably a few more I'm forgetting.

I did feel sorry for the lemurs and the racoon. I thought the lemur cage too small, and there's nothing but them to do but sit there. The racoon cage too I thought too small. The racoon was super cute though: I'd throw pieces of the deer crackers in his cage, and he'd pick them up with his little paws to eat them.

Edited: 5:30 pm, September 26, 2013
Wisconsin
reviews: 11
4. Re: Deer Park

When I first went there I was really upset because the first deer we saw were in an area that had no grass - just rocks, dead trees, dirt. Then I saw a sign about the deer in that area - they were in their natural habitat. Next, I saw some deer in a pond that looked all scummy and got upset again - until I read the sign that this "scum" was really a tiny green plant that the deer liked to eat. So, moral of the story - read the signs :) I really enjoyed our visit to the Deer Park. Buy some food for them, either the crackers or the cones - they will follow you around and try to get it out of your hands.

Reply to: Deer Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted