We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Canada
reviews: 28
"original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

both tours are available on "passport to savings"...

which one would you recommend? prices are the same...

do they offer similar tours? or maybe there is something unique about each of them?

thank you for your help... :)

13 replies to this topic
Iowa
reviews: 327
1. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

It's been years since I've done the ducks, but I've done the Upper Dells boat tour several times, most recently two summers ago. I much preferred the upper dells boat tour; I thought it was more scenic and I liked being able to get out and walk around at the stops the boat makes. The Ducks don't stop so you can get out, or at least the one we rode 15 years ago didn't.

BUT...if you are travelling with kids, they might prefer the Ducks for the unique and fun factor. My kids were a bit bored by the end of the upper dells boat tour. The Ducks are probably a tad more exciting, and the tour isn't as long as the boat tour.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
2. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

I think the Ducks are a lot more fun than the boat tour. Each has it's own scenery and story. Major difference -- the boat tour stops, the Ducks don't.

Windsor, Canada
3. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

thank you for your fast response.... i'm leaning towards the boat tour... i like to get out and walk around a bit... our teenager kids will have to go with us then.... :) talk about parental tyranny..... :)

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
4. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

The Upper Dells Boat tour is a bit long (close to three hours). We did both, and like Kren, our kids got bored by the end of the Upper Dells tour.

However, since your kids are teens, I would take them anyway and allow them to bring along something to do. It will make the trip better for everyone involved. You will get to see a lot more interesting scenery and the canyon stop is interesting.

Edited: 3:00 pm, August 08, 2013
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
5. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

I liked both, but for shorter, a ton of fun and land/water experience do the Ducks. For longer and getting out and enjoying the scenery that way then the Upper Ducks. If you're pressed for time definitely the Ducks. Really you can't lose with either, both are great, it depends your preference then overall. Enjoy.

Windsor, Canada
6. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

actually, since i'm looking to maximize my discount with this "passport to savings", i think we might do both... the more attractions we book the deeper discount we get... and we are not too much into other stuff that they offer...

so - it's a strong possibility that we will enjoy both...

i'll let you know my choice and oppinion later... :)

thanks again...

Windsor, Canada
7. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

ok, been there and done them both...

although the ducks were done on a spur of the moment on our last full day there...

i'm glad we took them both - but my favourite is the upper dells - beautiful sights and the walk at witches gulch - amazing....

the ducks could use less engine noise and gasoline smell /we sat at the very front - big mistake, i guess/, but it was still a very enjoyable experience...

i'm ready to do upper dells boat tour again... but it has to wait a bit...:)

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 2
8. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

We did both last year, and both were nice. The ducks are fun if you've never ridden them. However, if you can do only 1 and have to pick, the Upper Dells trips was more scenic, lasted longer & have a couple stops where you can get out and see the Standing Rock jump, and Witches Gultch. Your tour guide on either will give you a spiel about buying some souveniers from them but it was any big deal if you don't want anything.

Vadnais Heights...
9. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

The big difference is that on the boat tour, you are leisurely looking at scenery from a distance for the most part and the the Ducks put you into all of the amazing range of geography in the area.

Two totally different experiences and doing both provides a real enhancement.

Dick

Windsor, Canada
10. Re: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?

i agree and i'm glad we did them both, so when i'm back home, i'm not forever wondering whether we should have taken the ducks or not... it was well worth the money, and the guide, Nate, was witty and fun.../ducks' guide that is/

Reply to: "original ducks" or "upper dells boat tour"?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted