We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer - October Vacation?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 9
First Timer - October Vacation?

Hi! I'm hoping some of you with experience can chime in with some advice. We are thinking of making our first trip ever to the Dells in October with our 3 and 6 year olds. So many of the forum posts about the parks seem to be focused on Summer time. Will we be disappointed by coming in mid-October? It looks as though Wilderness and Kahlahari seem to be the top pics. We have a Great Wolf Lodge an hour from our place in Seattle so I was not looking to include that in our choices, but completely open to all suggestions as we are just starting to throw this plan around. Any best ideas for getting deals, discounts, or coupons for these places? We will also be visiting family in Janesville, so maybe (semi) local publications we can get our hands on that offer promos?

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
1. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

It can be beautiful in mid-Oct. Other than the outdoor waterparks, most everything should be open. If we have unusually cold weather that could affect some attractions. There is a fall festival in the Dells around that time that has family activities. Is there something specific that you are thinking you'd like to do/see when you are here?

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

We've only been to the Janesville area (where distant extended family lives and the reason for coming). Figured if we were going to make the trip, let's build some fun into it. :) Would love to know more about fall festival(s) and I think I saw something about a beer festival? Probably not something the kids can go to? Thinking we will be in the area from Wednesday dinner time through Saturday. The husband is a very adventuresome eater, so restaurant recommendations would be great too. All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Wisconsin
3. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

It's called the Dells Autumn Festival and you can do a search and get the website. Part of that festival is Dells on Tap which consists of a large tented area where you pay an admission fee (I think about $30/35) and then you get to drink micro beers from all over Wisconsin. I don't believe children are allowed. Everythimg else at the festival is family oriented-face painting, pumpkin decorating, children's zoo, arts/crafts show, scarecrow dressing contest, etc.

For restaurants, you should check out Moosejaw and Buffalo Phil's for kid friendly, Rivers Edge Pub and Grub for a northwoods feel, for a nice kind of trendy meal go to High Rock Cafe. Sprechers brews its own beer and the food is generally good. Brat House Grill is a great place for a casual sandwich. For pizza or a good salad bar go to Pizza Pub. And if you want beautiful scenery but pricey supperclub experience, see if Ishnala is still open - they close for the season in October.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
4. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

Your kids will not be disappointed even with the outdoor waterparks closed. As was said above, a lot depends on the weather. In addition to the Autumn fest, there is also a chili cook-off on another weekend.

I found out last weekend that Sprecher's apparently DOES NOT brew it's own beer -- they license the name from the actual brewery.

Both Wilderness and Kalahari claim to offer the best prices on their own websites.

Wisconsin
5. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

Elveric - thanks for the info on Sprechers - didn't know that. My husband still likes their beer, whoever is brewing it :)

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
6. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

I had Sprecher's meatloaf and cheese/beer potatoes at the Taste of Wis Dells a couple weeks ago, Yummy!

Wisconsin
7. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

We should have made arrangements to meet at the Taste! We've been disappointed in that event the last two years. The number of vendors has decreased and the food isn't as interesting. I wish they would go back to two tents with food and spread it out a little as it's really crowded. But I supposed it seems busier to patrons the way they do it. The 'vette parade has grown and we enjoy that - have a couple friends who drive their cars in it. Sorry for the hijack!

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

Thanks so much for the ideas and help. :)

9. Re: First Timer - October Vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 22, 2014