We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

Can anyone recommend where to stay and whether to go in June or July? My husband and I are taking our 4 and 2 year old to the Dells this summer. We'd like to spend most of our time doing water activities, outside preferably. We are looking for a nice resort with possibly a suite for a room.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
1. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

for the younger set I'd recommend Great Wolf and The Polynesian (as an adult I enjoyed the mature grounds at the Polynesian and outdoor offerings--not too big so just the right size and amt. of things to do out there).

http://www.greatwolf.com/dells/waterpark

http://www.dellspolynesian.com/

You'll find suites at both, maybe more with Great Wolf being newer than the Polynesian but I wouldn't know for sure you can ask them though or see what's available with the online links.

Edited: 10:48 pm, April 23, 2013
Minnesota
reviews: 319
2. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

If you are looking for an inexpensive stay for older kids but do not desire to pay the large resort prices, I'd choose the Polynesian. The outdoor area is nice for older kids - but not to the caliber of other hotels. The standard rooms at the Polynesian are not of the same caliber as the standard rooms at Great Wolf or similar large hotels.. We have not stayed in a suite at the Polynesian but the suites at Great Wolf are nice. The standard rooms at Hotel Rome/ Mnt Olympus are a bit nicer than the Polynesian. The outdoor water park and kiddie rides at Mnt Olympus are fun.

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
3. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

July is definitely more busy than June, however the weather could be cooler in June for outdoor water play. The Dells really picks up by the 3rd week in June and doesn't let up until about the 2nd week of August. The places suggested above also have indoor water facilities if the weather is cool. With the crazy weather we have had so far, it could still be snowing in June - or it could be 110 degrees! It used to be that prices for rooms would go up about the 2nd or 3rd week in June for the duration of the high season. Not sure if that's true anymore but you might want to check.

Edited: 8:22 am, April 24, 2013
Iowa
reviews: 328
4. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

Since you want to do outside water activities, I would pick July. It will be busier, but you'll have a better chance of the weather being hot, and not rainy.

With kids that age, Great Wolf Lodge would be my pick for waterpark resort. Wilderness would be another great option. The outdoor waterpark areas are much bigger and better at the Wilderness than at Great Wolf, but Great Wolf is more geared towards little kids.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
5. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

Trying not to sound like "Clue" I'd say Polynesian with a suite in July -- but not the 4th of July holiday. Granted July is busier and rates are higher, but you will pay less at Polynesian and still have a great Dells time.

Hannibal, Missouri
reviews: 30
6. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

We are taking our kids (7 and 3) to the Great Wolf lodge. I'm in the same boat as you. I would like to know what the good attractions are for smaller kids to do.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 129
7. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

For both the OP and Steph: Try the Wisconsin Deer Park and the Great Northern (mini) RR. If you're willing to take a short day trip, go to Devil's Lake and them them splash in the water and dig on the beach. It's very scenic and the water is clear.

Mora Minnesota
reviews: 3
8. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

We just got back from a trip out with my 3 year old (38") and my 4 year old (45"). We initially stayed at Mount Olympus, and I can confidently say that while not all of the outside stuff was open this last week, even the kids play structure outdoors was too much for my 3 year old, and some of it was too much for my 4 year old. Theme park was a lot of the same - my daughter was getting frustrated with us because she was too little for everything. The Hotel Rome was awful - no internet in our room (but if I stood in the hallway I had a signal!), they tried to "upgrade us" and charge us more, overbooked so our room wasn't available, etc.

We left for our last night and went to the Wilderness. GORGEOUS 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen, fireplace, 3 TV's and DVD player.... amazing. There were body slides for kids that were staffed with lifeguards at the top and bottom so even my 3 year old daughter could go (and she did, OVER and OVER!), plus tube slides that allowed our kids on with us. They also have the "waterdome", which has a roof that allows sunlight in and a nice wave pool. We had SO much more fun here than at Mount Olympus with the littler kids.

9. Re: summer vacation with preschooler and toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 27, 2014