We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Dells

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naperville, Illinois
reviews: 1
One night in Dells

We are going to the Dells for one Friday night in August, to break up a very long car ride. We will arrive Friday @3pm and need to leave Saturday @6pm. 2 adults, two boys (11 and 13). Since the rest of our cheap vacation is visiting family, I'm not too worried about budget and would ideally like to stay in a 2-bedroom. I think the kids would like a waterpark, but we won't have time to explore all that a huge resort offers. We've only been to a waterpark once before (a day visit, not Dells), so they will be easily impressed! :) If we check out of our room on Saturday, but continue swimming, will we be able to shower and change? We have a 3-hour drive afterwards.

I'd love any advice from those who have been to the Dells!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
1. Re: One night in Dells

How about a smaller mom and pop (that offers two bedrooms) or a smaller resort vs. the big ones and then spend Saturday at Noah's Ark. It's busier Saturdays but tapers the later it is in August. Noah's Ark will blow them away and they're at the perfect age. That would be my honest suggestion. Go right at opening and most things are open (some open an hr. later at 10AM). Later afternoon tapers down in crowds too, but from your schedule it looks like morning till early-mid afternoon is best. You wouldn't be able to shower then if you're checked out of the motel but you certainly can change there and freshen up. I think Noah's would be worth it even if you can't hit the shower after. I don't know if they have shower facilities there but the bathrooms are high traffic. We've only ever changed and headed out after to our motel, etc.

Two bedroom suites are available at the Polynesian...while it's good for ages 10 and under it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it if you're over that age especially if like you said your guys would be easily impressed. Their outdoors area is very nice and not spread out. The grounds are fragrant and mature which is another plus. You could enjoy this Friday evening and Noah's on Saturday.

http://www.dellspolynesian.com/

Edited: 1:27 pm, March 06, 2013
WI
Destination Expert
2. Re: One night in Dells

indiantrailmotel.com/rooms-layout/3-bedroom-… Indian Trail is a neat mom and pop so if you want to splurge they offer a three bedroom home you could enjoy if they do that for one night only you'd have to check into it further.

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 4
3. Re: One night in Dells

I would stay at one of the larger resorts that have both indoor and outdoor waterparks. That way if it rains or is chilly they won't miss out on slides and such. I don't think planning a stay at a cheaper hotel and then hoping the weather cooperates to visit Noah's Ark would be worth the risk, especially since you will be in the Dell's for only 24 hrs.

I'd suggest Kalahari, Wilderness, or Chula Vista. You might also consider Mt. Olympus and Great Wolf.

Iowa
reviews: 327
4. Re: One night in Dells

I also would recommend a waterpark resort, not only for the weather but if this is a stop during a very long car ride (BTDT!) you might just want to park and not have to get in the car again until it's time to leave:-).

I would recommend either Wilderness or Kalahari. Both have laser tag which I'm sure your boys love;-). I'm not sure about the Kalahari, but Wilderness had a huge arcade my son could've spent hours in. Kalahari also has the indoor theme park. Both resorts have places to eat on site. And of course both have big waterparks, indoors and out.

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 17
5. Re: One night in Dells

You'll be able to shower and change in the locker room.

You'll be easily able to do all the waterpark rides and attractions at a large resort in the time you have.

Dells are for kids. Ask your kids what they want to do-two days at a waterpark resort, or one at Noah's Ark.

Naperville, Illinois
6. Re: One night in Dells

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. I honestly hadn't really considered the weather (can you tell I'm new to waterparks?). I think I'll go towards a resort with an indoor waterpark.

And yes, I'm sure my boys would love an arcade and/or laser tag. Can anyone answer - do they need a group to play laser tag? Could the four of us do it? Thanks again; we're checking out all the suggestions and welcome more!

Iowa
reviews: 327
7. Re: One night in Dells

We've only done laser tag at the Wilderness, and when we played it was our family, plus a few other people we didn't know who were also going to play at the same time. I would imagine if just your family of four showed up and no one else was in-line to play, they'd let just the four of you. The laser tag area was always busy when we walked by though so I'm guessing it's unusual to have just four people in line to play.

I think the Kalahari indoor theme park has an all-day wristband you can buy for around $20 per person. From what I've read, that then includes unlimited laser tag games. So that might be something to consider at least for the boys if they will want to play over and over.

Edited: 10:34 pm, March 06, 2013
3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
8. Re: One night in Dells

Another advantage to staying at one of the waterpark resorts -- you get a wristband when you check in that's good for that day AND the next day.

WI
Destination Expert
9. Re: One night in Dells

Every time we've been to the Dells we've honestly not had a problem with the weather, even for one day, but yes it's a risk you take. IMHO the best of the best is Noah's Ark over a resort waterpark anyday the two just don't compare so obviously one day or not I think it's a good idea. Also there are so many alternatives in the Dells so if it rains it rains on other outdoor activities yet there remains lots to do. That's my two cents.

The majority seem to lean to large waterpark resorts but that's not a lure for everybody, there are so many other great ways to enjoy the Dells it doesn't have to be boxed up with a waterpark resort solely.

Edited: 8:06 am, March 07, 2013
Naperville, Illinois
10. Re: One night in Dells

It's good to know about the wristband being good for two days. Those are the details I wasn't sure about.

Get answers to your questions about Wisconsin Dells