We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
reviews: 1
If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

Traveling from upstate NY to Mt. Rushmore... we have been told a good stop is Wisconsin Dells... but if we do not love waterparks, should we skip it ? What is there to do with 1 adult and a 9 and 10 year old that is NOT waterparks... (too $$$)

Any suggestions or thoughts about whether we should stop there, or somewhere a little before or after that would be better ?

Thanks !

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 100
11. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

people have a love hate relationship with the Dells they either love it or hate it. There's plenty of neat nature/rock formations there you can enjoy on the various boat tours and State Parks, etc.:

dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/rockyarbor/

http://www.devilslakewisconsin.com/

devilslakewisconsin.com/information-center/… it's outside Devil's Lake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forevertron eclectic

Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 128
12. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

The last time we were in the Dells area, we did not visit a waterpark. Kids the ages of yours would like the Rick Wilcox Magic Show, Deer Park, miniature RR, Circus World Museum in Baraboo, the House on the Rock in Spring Green and the Ducks. The Upper Dells Boat Ride is very scenic, but it is three hours long and our kids were pretty antsy for the second half. Since you want to be near Devils Lake, try to catch a quick ride on the free auto ferry in Merrimac. Many kids have never been on an auto ferry, and again, it is free.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
13. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

A friend and I went to the Dells for Thanksgiving weekend. No shopping . . . and no waterparks . . . and we had a great time. Here is a link to my travel journal highlighting what I/we did: igougo.com/journal-j77595-Wisconsin_Dells-Th… .

With kids that age, they may really enjoy Dr. Evermor's Forevertron and the sculpture park!

Chicago
reviews: 173
14. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

skip the dells, but devils lake state park is worth a stop.....

Wisconsin Dells
15. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

Here are a few other reasonable and non-waterpark suggestions. There is a River Walk in the Downtown area that offers some spectacular views of the river and there are built in tables that have chess and checkers boards. Also Downtown during the summer there is nightly entertainment performing on the corner of Eddie St and Broadway - the acts change nightly so it is worth checking out from 7-9 pm. Timbavati Wildlife Park and Wisconsin Deer Park are family favorites and allow you to interact with the animals. The natural beauty of the Wisconsin River is what made the Dells famous - so I would recommend a boat ride (either Jet Boat, Boat Tour or Paddlewheel) and a Duck ride. Finally - don't forget an old-fashioned photograph, it is a great way to commemorate the trip with your family.

chicago
reviews: 28
16. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

like others have said the dells is a tourist trap, but there are nice things to see and do in the dells, for your kids one thing is wizard quest its fun interactive and kids love it.also there are a couple riding stabels one has a trail ride with animatronics that activate when you ride by them very fun, also the canyon creek guided tour very cool, one of the boat tours takes you on and off the boat for a short hike where you get to see stand rock and a dog jumps the rock! its very nice, as for camping on a budget stay with the state parks and find one a bit away from the dells they are nice and clean and wont drain the wallet, but in the dells its pricey thats why we only visit there once every few years. but always nice to go back.

Fond du Lac...
reviews: 41
17. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

In my opinion....I would stay the extra days in South Dakota and go to Cuter State Park instead of the Dells (since you are not doing the waterparks). We stayed at Beaver Lake campground with our kids....and we all had a blast! There is so much to do and see without spending a lot of money...safe hikes and swimming with a view that is priceles....Bonus, go for a ride with the kids and see the herds of Buffalo and feed the Donkeys!

I live in WI and have gone to WI Dells as well as Devil's Lake many times. Devil's Lake is beautiful!! and there are some great hikes and swimming right there..but I agree with above....get a campsite quickly! : ) WI Dells is very comercialized and everything is pricey. Although there is beautiful landscape it easily gets missed by the "tourist trap" attractions. One more note: If you do want to do a waterpark for a little cheaper, stay at the Flamingo Motel, you get a free ticket to Noah's Ark Water Park, which is fun...and if you know someone in WI, they can buy you cheaper tickets through their Credit Unions/Banks.

18. Re: If we don't love waterparks, should we skip Wisconsin Dells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 26, 2014