We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of first time visit

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa, canada
reviews: 6
Thinking of first time visit

We are thinking of switching from Hilton Head Island SC to a lakefront vacation this year. We would be taking our family of my husband and me, and our two daughters and son in laws. Can anybody give me any ideas on where to stay that would be fun? We don't need the party scene but do want to be on the lake and close to fun stuff to do. Thanks.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 93
1. Re: Thinking of first time visit

this would be good in the Wisconsin forum and not just the Dells forum you'll get some better ideas with a broader range.

Lake Geneva is popular and a very nice area. The mailboat tour is fantastic and there's a great walking path all around the lake, past the swanky and historic homes.

When you mean close to fun stuff what do you have in mind and how close do you want to be?

Iowa
reviews: 327
2. Re: Thinking of first time visit

I see you're from Ottawa, and it looks like it will be all adults? As much as my family enjoys the Dells, for an adults only vacation AND considering the distance you are from the Dells, I would think about other destinations instead. The Dells is very touristy and "kid centric" with waterparks, fudge shops, arcades, an amusement park.

Maybe someplace along the Great Lakes would be an idea? I've never been there, but I've heard the Upper Penninsula is very nice. Door County, Wisconsin is on the lake as well.

ottawa, canada
3. Re: Thinking of first time visit

In response as to how close I want to be and what I am looking for it is mainly evening things. Such as going to get pizza or ice cream or just fun evening stuff to do. Within walking distance because we kind of like to be closer to things. Also, bike rentals, close by? And easily ride to do fun things? We are not bar people or drinking so that is not the fun I was thinking of. Haha. Thanks.

ottawa, canada
4. Re: Thinking of first time visit

kren250 - thanks. We no longer live in Ottawa but live in St Louis so we are much closer. I am open to anyplace in Wisconsin as we have never been there so any other fun lake areas would be great. Throw them out at me people - we are wanting something different this year.

I do like amusement parks, fudge shops etc. We are open to that stuff. If the waterparks are geared for adults too then that would be great. Sounds like fun. But mostly lake stuff - swimming, kayaking, jet skies etc for during the day.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 93
5. Re: Thinking of first time visit

www.doorcounty.com Top WI picks for me are Door County (busy with ppl. in summer yet quaint and quiet (no chains--lodging or dining) and it's a small area as far as picking a town to be central and driving around to the nearby towns in the Door. The Confectionery is a yummy treat place in Ephraim. There's lots of orchard type places with fruits, jams, lots of cherries, breads/bakery and more. In nearby Green Bay you'll enjoy a small scale amusement park on the water called Bay Beach and Seroogy's Chocolates as well as a myriad of other places to visit while there.

Bayfield, WI the Old Rittenhouse Inn and Landmark Restaurant there are fantastic choices. Boat around the Apostle Islands, kayak, visit Madeline Island and enjoy the best berry picking in Bayfield! www.seagullbayinn.com is great for lodging too and the Big Top for shows www.bigtop.org

Edited: 4:20 pm, February 28, 2013
Minnesota
reviews: 290
6. Re: Thinking of first time visit

The Apostle Islands area is beautiful. Not a place to jet ski though as it is located on Lake Superior which is very cold and the largest Great Lake. If you would consider the Apostle Islands, you may also want to consider Duluth which is on the Mn side of Lake Superior and more offers more touristy options.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
7. Re: Thinking of first time visit

I would also echo that you are more likely to find what you are looking for in Door County as opposed to the Dells.

Maybe also Mackinac Island?

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
reviews: 7
8. Re: Thinking of first time visit

Wisconsin has a great website www.travelwisconsin.com You can put in what type of vacation you are looking for and it brings up destinations. It's a wonderful tool for helping plan a vacation here. The Dells doesn't have a very big lake; Lake Delton is quite small actually and you can jet ski around it in just a few minutes! There are other lakes 20 minutes away, but none of them really have the evening activities you are looking for.

Chicago
reviews: 162
9. Re: Thinking of first time visit

lake vacation, nice beaches, stuff to do? look no further than here:

beachtowns.org

but if you *must* go to wisconsin, skip the dulls, i mean dells.....

better to go to door county, or the above-mentioned bayfield/apostles area... or even minoqua...... also, there are some nice lake michigan towns such as port washington, sheboygan and keewaunee.....

but overall, IMO, for a great summer beachy type vacation, go to western michigan...hands down. st joe, south haven and grand haven all have kayak, SUP and bike rental shops.... if you stay in grand haven, you'll be about an hour from silver lake dunes, which offer the opportunity for dune rides.... plus, the beaches on the other side of the Lake blow away anything on this side.....

Wisconsin Dells
10. Re: Thinking of first time visit

Wisconsin Dells is a great family vacation area for any age. With the Wisconsin River bisecting the entire community there are a lot of retreats that are along the river, in addition to Lake Delton. Since you like amusement and waterparks I would suggest Noah's Ark which is America's Largest Waterpark and definitely has adult rides or Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park which offers roller coasters, waterpark and go-karts. Then there is the natural beauty that can be seen through the boat tours (jet boat, tour boat or paddlewheel) of the Wisconsin River. I would suggest you visit our site: www.wisdells.com which will allow you to search accommodations, attractions, restaurants, shopping and more! I hope you decide to visit Wisconsin Dells this year with your family.