We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo Grove...
reviews: 14
Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Hi everyone!

I am travelling to the Dells this summer with my mom, sister (20) and daughter (3). Two years ago we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge and I didn't care for it too much. It was kind of gross and old and made me depressed.

This year I am leaning towards the Wilderness. Can anyone tell me (since it is so spread out) which park is actually attached to the hotel and whether it's good for little ones. Also, how are the rooms? Dining options (bkfst and lunch)? And, most importantly, how is the outdoor pool? My mom will want to be outside the entire time and I want to make sure it is nice.

Thanks all!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
1. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

check wikipedia for age of these places, none of them are new if that's what you're looking for. Some have portions updated/added on/renovated over the years.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness_Territory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalahari_Resorts

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wolf_Resorts

Overall the Kalahari is the youngest of those operating, of the big ones.

Here's Chula Vista info. too since they're fairly big as well:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chula_Vista_Resort

Minnesota
reviews: 313
2. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Although the Wilerness water parks are large with a lot of variety, if you didn't care for Great Wolf, I'm not sure if you'll like the Wilderness. Overall, the rooms and public areas are not as nice/kept up as Great Wolf. The hotel rooms are fine at the Wilderness. The Wilderness outside condos and Glacier Canyon condos are very nice. The outdoor pool areas are great.

Iowa
reviews: 328
3. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Truthfully, if you found Great Wolf "old and gross", I don't know if you'd care for the Wilderness either. We've stayed at both; and while I found the waterparks at Wilderness better (and more geared towards older kids), in general I thought Great Wolf better as far as the actual accomodations go.

Maybe Kalahari would be an idea? We haven't stayed there yet, but I think it's maybe a bit more expensive than the other two. The pictures here on TA look nice, and the waterpark looks fun.

Minnesota
reviews: 313
4. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

If you are looking for "Nice" accommodations, Kalahari is your best bet. We have stayed at all of the big hotels several times each. Great Wolf would be my #2 pick for overall nice accommodations & clean rooms.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
5. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

If you thought that Great Wolf was "old and gross" two years ago, you may not want to come to the Dells, because I don't think you will be satisfied with any of the properties.

Buffalo Grove...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

I did not mean to offend anyone. We enjoyed our stay at the Dells overall, and I actually thought the room at GWL was very comfortable, but the hallways and interior overall was very dark, the outdoor pool was small and the looking out into the parking lot was a little depressing. I was simply asking if there are other properties with a more modern/updated feel. I find it hard to believe that such a popular tourist destination peaks with GWL.

midwest
7. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

We like to stay in the condos at Chula Vista Resort. The condos look exactly like the pictures. We've stayed in both the two and three bedroom. Our last stay was July of 2012.

We enjoy both the indoor and outdoor pool areas and waterparks, although I liked the outdoors much better. Our grandchildren were 3 and 5 last summer and they both love Chula Vista.

Check it out for yourself.

chulavistaresort.com/accommodations/…

chicago
reviews: 19
8. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Wilderness at the lake has newer rooms, also the sands section at Kalahari is nice

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
9. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Not sure what you are going to look out at other than a parking lot from some rooms and why that's depressing -- they are kinda necessary. Great Wolf offers views of the parking lot or the Interstate, same with Kalahari unless you get a room that overlooks the outdoor waterpark or the roof. You do have a chance of a better view at the Sands part of Kalahari or some parts of the Wilderness. Chula Vista has the best possible views -- the river and woods -- if you land the right room.

Wisconsin
reviews: 116
10. Re: Summertime, Wisconsin Dells, 3 year old

Try a condo at glacier canyon lodge. The condos are nicer than the hotel rooms in wilderness. As for the outdoor waterparks there I have no idea as we avoid the dells in the summer.