We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hurst, Texas
1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

Planning a fall foliage trip to the Great Lakes area----esp, Wisconsin, Minnesota--for Fall 2013 and am seeking tips regarding best time to catch peek foliage and best places to visit. Texas leaf-peepers who have never been in area west of Illinois/Indiana in the fall. All tips invited. Thank you.

Mark markemm@juno.com

Chicago, IL
reviews: 86
21. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

I have to agree with alwaystosagirl's post on the LaCrosse area and north. I am just back from four days of hiking here. As you follow the MIssissippi north Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge just outside of Trempealeau WI is beautiful. On the MN side, just outside of Winona, MN, is Great River Bluffs State Park with easy hikes to the top of bluffs to see the river. And, farther north than Winona is Red Wing, MN, (of the boot fame) with Barn Bluff to hike, providing both easy and difficult paths. All of these areas are heavily wooded and have wonderful leaf color.

LIke I said, I am just back from a hiking trip there and have posted reviews on everything.

Edited: 9:55 am, September 15, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 77
22. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

The Northwoods is beautiful in Fall. You could head North on #51. The true and actual Northwoods is anything north of Highway 29. I agree with the poster who talked about the counties of Vilas, Oneida, Forest and the Porcupine Mountains in the UP. Absolutely beautiful. I can tell you that the sugar maples up North are already starting to change. Enjoy your trip it sounds great!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 103
23. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

travel along the Great River Road, one notable overlook is Buena Vista in Alma.

Chicago, Illinois
24. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

I'm guessing here... but you're probably going to want to stop and smell the roses along the way ( or clean crisp fall air, it has it's own very unique smell ) , instead of doing a lot of driving around. Depending on what time you go in the fall will determine how far north you'll need to go to catch the peek colors changes

25. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

My wife and me really love Door Co. In the fall. See the Pumpkin Patch festival in Egg Harbor the Columbus Day weekend! The colors are terrific. Very pretty area with plenty of shoreline, parks and lighthouses.

St. Paul, MN
26. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

Couldn't agree more about the Great River Road. On a sunny day the view from Buena Vista in Alma, WI is spectacular.

Edited: 3:49 pm, October 02, 2013
27. Re: 1st timer planning a fall foliage trip to Wisconsin/Minnesot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 04, 2014