We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 49
Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

Looking for deals on lodging where you don't have to "pay half up front". I can not think of any part of the hospitality trade where when you make a reservation they take your money - hotels tell you that you can't have a portion of it back if you cancel. So if a better deal is found - too bad - you can't cancel the 1st reservation without losing all or part of your "reservation fee". These resorts are truly the Jesse James of the hotel industry. I would not plan a vacation to the Dells even if it were GIVEN to me free at this point. Reasons???

1) Over priced hotel rooms - if you read the reviews of most - there are housekeeping and service issues for all of the big resorts - NONE get overwhelmingly great reviews.

2) Why would anyone want to swim in pools at locations that already get low marks for cleanliness? Overcrowded pools full of who knows what kind of germs.

3) Overpriced food and beverage .

4) Compare the cost of an average WI Dells vacation to an all inclusive in the Carribean, or a resort in Florida (with Theme Park tickets) - Truly - there are other locations that are not in the middle of no where - land locked by overpriced attractions.

5) Very few deals - and when you do book a room you pay several hundred dollars, Months in advance, and no refunds if you should cancel.

It is a rackett........The only reason I'm writing is because my daughter is headed to a dance competition in June in the Dells and we have NO choice but to go if she wants to participate. This is the 3rd one and each time I hate the Dells more. I'd just like to see others opinions - thoughts or helpful hints - because i don't get it.

Chicago, Illinois
71. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

SheSaid, typical, you are not - extremely cheap, you are. If you can't afford the dells then don't go. There are numerous options for all sorts of budgets, I really can't believe that none fit yours. Sorry for being blunt, I just can't stand people who are looking to get something for nothing.

Illinois
72. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

Actually, Im just looking for a good value for the money I am spending.

On the other side The "resorts" (again using this term loosely) seem to be without any fault according to a good number of people that post here. Taking $300 up front more than 6 months in advance and then pricing their rooms on the high side of ridiculous is an acceptable practice. They are operating on funds they take from families now....for vacations that are not happening for 6 months....kinda reminds me of other shady financial dealings that we have all watched unfold in the media.

Wisconsin
reviews: 116
73. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

Ok we all get you don't like the dells. That's fine, I'm not a big fan either and would be mad if I had to spend a ton on a hotel in the summer for a dance competition. But that's how the dice rolled so suck it up, pick a resort and stop complaining on here about nationwide policies (down payment on booked rooms).

I gave you advice on a cheap place to rent. Did you book there or are you still looking? If so your post is done.

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
74. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

^^ Amen!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
75. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

As someone who has organized and hosted youth soccer events in Wisconsin, I can tell you that the contractual requirements on the organizer (in this case the dance competition folks) is very high too. Some contracts require that they guarantee the number of rooms/sleeping nights the group will pick up and if they fail, the organizer is on the hook for money.

That is the price paid if you want to block a large number of rooms to assure you have enough sleeping space for all participants. Additionally, if you are having your event in "prime time" (i.e., summer in the Dells) you will pay more dearly.

Youth events in general try to plan for areas that have broader interest to those attending and in this case, you're talking kids. There is far more entertaining (and convenient) activities for kids in the Dells than other places in the state, including Milwaukee.

If you really want to see a lot of money spend on kids' competitions, go sign your youngster up for competitive soccer.

As a PS, I have also organized national/international level educational meetings for upwards of 2,000 professionals. The issues are the same . . . booking large venues (meeting space), enough hotel rooms at an affordable price . . . and in an area where people will want to travel for more than "just" their meeting/event.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
76. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

We've never paid ahead and have stayed as few as one night...nothing to hold us hostage there. So many have a preference for the big resorts though while we prefer going big with Noah's Ark and going smaller with accomodations and we don't encounter these problems. The Dells is a big place with tons of opportunities and a myriad of choices.

Edited: 10:49 am, February 13, 2013
Illinois
77. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

I hear what you are saying about planning an event/conference/meeting, i have planned many large meetings and both my daughters are professionals in the hospitality industry, one with a large hotel chain and the other with a conference planning organization. Much of my angst with the dells is that, according to the TA reviews, there are very few of the large resorts that have a true focus on customer service (cleanliness,value, customer happiness,affordable dining) It is about their bottom line and not the customer experience. After seeing all the feedback here our plan is to find a local "mom and pop" with good reviews and if the girls want to hit a waterpark we will pay the per day fee. I would rather spend a little more to support a local business, owned by people who care, than paying a very high price at one of the "biggies" and feeling taken. My budget has been adjusted upward to cover the higher costs- and I do appreciate the frank and open feedback provided here. I have learned a lot.

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
78. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

Thanks for the update SheSaid. Glad to hear it's coming together but that the experience may not be what you'd like. It's easy to get spoiled by terrific places and hard to adjust down a bit. When we travel we using have a mix of saving money (but terrific reviews) and then splurging when it counts. In the UP a few years ago we went from hot dogs and a 40 year old Mom and Pop hotel in Munising to a fabulous stay on Mackinac Island. But those hot dogs and small hotels underwrite the good stuff.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
79. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

A local mom and pop we've always yearned to try is the Indian Trail Motel:

http://www.indiantrailmotel.com/ Another that rates well is the Blackhawk. Best wishes deciding on a mom and pop. I think they're really enjoyable, personable and the good ones are well kept up--great mature grounds usually and friendly, helpful staff as well as clean comfortable rooms.

Illinois
80. Re: Value for the $$ -Don't understand the attraction of Dells

Thanks hatch pal...checking these out!