We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a place to stay

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
reviews: 25
Need help choosing a place to stay

We would like to take our kids (8 and 3) in February and are looking at the main resorts. Wilderness, Chula Vista, Kalahari and Great Wolf.

We have never stayed at any of these, so we don't have a clue where to stay. We want CLEAN and lots of things to do for the kids, not just waterparks.

Can anyone give me any guidance on choice of hotel and what section of the hotel I should be in?

Thanks!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
1. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

Great Wolf focuses on age 10 and under so my recommendation would be there first as you'll have other activities beyond water. This would be a great place to start out and as they get older then Wilderness/Chula/Kalahari. You could at least experience Great Wolf one time or so before your oldest is beyond that age and you could move on to other places.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60403-d116111-…

Here's the activities:

http://www.greatwolf.com/dells/activities

virtual tours of all waterpark areas:

greatwolf.com/dells/video-image/virtual-tours

There's brochures and videos that may help too with the layout/decisions and more.

Best wishes deciding.

Edited: 12:48 pm, January 17, 2013
Iowa
reviews: 328
2. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

Agree with hatchpal. Hit Great Wolf before the oldest outgrows it. It's a fun, nicely themed resort, and great for young kids. If you decide to stay there, be sure to check out the "clock show" that they do nightly in the lobby.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 2
3. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

Hi - If you want to get away from all the noise of the Dells and not leave with a headache check out Chula Vista. That is where we stay and love it. It's got a great location setting, the condo's are perfect for a family because you get the extra space plus some come with jacuzzi tub. My kids are 3 years old and almost a year. Our 3 year old loves the condo's because she can sit and relax in the tub with bubbles while we sit by the fireplace. The waterpark is great for kids 10 and under. They also have a new 4D theatre that was really neat to check out. The arcade is good to do after all the waterpark fun.. plus best of all it's affordable for our family.. some of the other properties we felt where quite expensive for the same experience.

Minneapolis
reviews: 25
4. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

I think we are leaning towards Kalahari. It seems like it has so much more to do. I don't like Wilderness Lodge because the waterpark are just to spread out and Great Wolf seems nice, but there does not seem like there is that much to do other than the waterpark and a few things.

Any thoughts on Kalahari?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
5. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

Kalahari is the number one indoor waterpark people lean towards...it sounds like you were leaning that way as well. Enjoy!

Minnesota
reviews: 308
6. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

You've received some great insight! I'll address the CLEAN issue. We have stayed at each of your suggested hotels many times. We have always had a clean room at Kalahari and Great Wolf. We have experienced inconsistency with Chula Vista and Wilderness.

chicago
reviews: 19
7. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

Just stayed at wilderness and kalahari with a 3.5 year old, the rooms at sands at Kalahari are nicer than wilderness hotel, both waterparks are equally good but different, Kalahari seems to have more activities but we preferred what was offered at wilderness

We did two nights at wilderness and one at Kalahari, definitely recommend that if you have enough time

8. Re: Need help choosing a place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 20, 2014