We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portage vs Dells for motels

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brevard, North...
reviews: 6
Portage vs Dells for motels

We're planning a family reunion in August 2013, and want to visit Wisconsin Dells. Is Portage easier to book a motel and better, since it's a short drive to the Dells? We'll want a pool and place to meet.

Iowa
reviews: 328
1. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

I don't know about Portage (I've never even heard of it...how close is it?), but you'll find tons and tons of motel/hotel/resort/cabin options in the Dells. I would opt to stay in the Dells, and if price isn't an issue, stay in one of the big waterpark resorts.

Edited: 9:24 am, January 08, 2013
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
2. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

Baraboo is a good secondary option to look into. I think you'll find plenty of lodging to meet your needs though in Wisconsin Dells and it's plenty ahead of time to find available lodging. My suggestion would be to opt for the Dells as kren suggested. Though if Wis. Dells is meant just as a "visit" over a "stay" then you could find lodging elsewhere depending on areas that work to base your reunion out of.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
3. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

Portage has a Best Western with a very nice view of the Columbia County Correctional Institute with a decent restaurant across the parking lot. There are also a couple of chain hotels at the Petro exit. Otherwise there are several mom and pops. None compare to the Dells in "flash" and may not be all that much cheaper.

Ochsner Park in Baraboo or Devil's Lake State Park south of Baraboo are both nice spots for family reunions.

Wisconsin
reviews: 116
4. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

We drive through portage anytime we head south since it is on 39. Not really much of anything there. Nothing to draw you there.

I would second staying in the dells or checking baraboo.

Maybe a little more info will help. Like is there any other specific things you want to see or do. How about in the dells? How many people? Are you wanting Esperanto rooms or would a condo/cabin work?

Edited: 5:04 pm, January 08, 2013
Wisconsin
reviews: 116
5. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

I hate spell check on my iPod. Sorry espanarto or whatever it put in should say separate.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
6. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

I wondered what an Esperanto room was...

7. Re: Portage vs Dells for motels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 11, 2014