We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington
Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

Hi, we are thinking about visiting Wisconsin Dells right after Christmas. Previously we stayed at Great Wolf and Kalahari and LOVED both. But the rates at both location on 12/26 are expensive and thus we are thinking about Mt. Olympus instead given that they have an indoor theme park. We have 7-year-old twins. My questions are:

1. Would we be disappointed about Mt. Olympus indoor water park? I understand that it is smaller than the ones we visited before from the reviews, but is it THAT much difference (for the kids)?

2. Some review suggested that the indoor theme park has very long wait in line (one said 1 hour!). Is that true? I am not sure if the experience was in summer or does it not matter. It won't be worthwhile for us if it will take a long time to wait in line with little ones. Does anyone know whether it is also very crowded right after Christmas (e.g. 12/26 and 12/27)?

3. Some review suggested that the management at Mt. Olympus parks is not good (e.g. allow people to wear muddy shoes inside; drunk people, etc.). For those who have been there more recently, has the situation changed?

By the way, we are thinking about staying at hotel Rome if we go to Mt. Olympus. Thanks!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
1. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

Did you try Chula Vista? Perhaps the Polynesian (good for under 10's as well as the Great Wolf is though smaller scale) if their indoor facilities have good hours, you can check their holiday hours plan...make sure the bigger area has good hours. From what I've heard/read we would not consider Mt. Olympus. I would prefer just scaling down even more in that case (they're seven after all so that's plenty doable). I'm not sure how the crowd level will be. It is a holiday/time off time so it is likely to be more crowded than other days. I have heard of the poor management as well. Overall I'm not sure I would risk it, but you can always give it a shot and see for yourself. Sometimes you take reviews with a grain of salt (i.e. people's preferences shine through) but they do hold merit at the same time. Sorry I wasn't able to help more. Did you consider Wilderness as well then. I would say if you want to stay bigger try Wilderness or Chula if the rates are good. Do you have family in the area, I see your from Bloomington (I'm guessing MN?) You could also consider the Waterpark of America closer to home: http://www.waterparkofamerica.com/ or even Duluth at the Edgewater would be closer: http://www.duluthwaterpark.com/

Edited: 11:49 am, December 07, 2012
Bloomington
2. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

Thanks for your response! I neglect to mention in my previous posting that we've also been to Polynesian (when kids were 3) and Wilderness. Not very impressed with the facility at either (not bad, but just much prefer the other two). The main reason that Mt. Olympus is considered this time is the theme park as well as the snow tubing. We've never tried Chula Vista and will do some research on that, too. By the way, we are from Bloomington, IL, instead of MN :-)

WI
Destination Expert
3. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

You could save an hour and go to the Timber Ridge in Lake Geneva.

http://www.timberridgeresort.com/. It's a lovely area!

I'm not sure about tubing then offhand with this location.

WI
Destination Expert
4. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

Definitely you'll have preferences when you've been to four or five places already. I can see why you'd prefer Great Wolf and Kalahari to the Polynesian. I haven't been to Wilderness but I think we'd like Kalahari and Chula Vista better than Wilderness. Our kids past the Great Wolf age so we didn't get there either but I always thought that would be a neat location.

A possibility for Kalahari is to wait till it's closer, they may be willing to give you a better rate if they aren't filled by then.

WI
Destination Expert
5. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

here's a good one for waterparks around WI including the Dells:

travelwisconsin.com/attractions/…

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 18
6. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

I'd be interested in knowing why you much prefer Kalahari over Wilderness. I think they are both very nice. My wife has also been to Chula Vista, and says that Wilderness and Kalahari are much nicer.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
7. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

Rick - My main reason for preferring Kalahari to Wilderness -- Wilderness has several waterpark areas -- all spread out . Everything at Kalahari is connected -- can still be a long hike, but at least you stay inside. I like Chula Vista, but find it very confusing.

As far as the original post -- if you do pick Mt. Olympus, you really want Hotel Rome... too much hassle if you are at one of the satellite properties as far as waterpark in the winter.

Bloomington
8. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

I like Kalahari also because everything is at one location and the facility is in general very nice. Yes, I would choose Hotel Rome if we were to pick Mt. Olympus.

WI
Destination Expert
9. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

that is what I hear most about Wilderness....many like it but some do not appreciate how spread out it is.

Keeping personal tastes in mind is your best option and of course price consideration. Overall I don't think you can go wrong with Chula, Wilderness or Kalahari for bigger scale resorts but when price is a consideration they may not work ideally either. I have heard a wealth of negative about Mt. Olympus/Hotel Rome establishments but in the end go with what you think, it may be worth giving it a shot. I haven't personally gone so I'm unable to share that personal aspect of it. I know though often I can wade through the reviews and get a sense of personal taste and where I and the poster may differ. I don't let that deter me from trying things and seeing for myself.

Minnesota
reviews: 306
10. Re: Crowded @ Mt. Olympus on 12/26-12/27?

In Answer to your questions:

1) Being you have been to the big waterpark hotels, I would not recommend Mnt Olympus. Yes, there is a BIG difference, even for 7 year-olds. Compared to a normal hotel with a standard pool it is great, but not compared to the big Dells hotels. I would expect it to be very crowded. It can get a bit conjested.

2) The hour long wait is for Opa, the only rollercoaster in the indoor park. It is the same as Timberland Twister at Nickelodean Universe. (MOA) The indoor theme park is so-so. There are the tea cups, the bus, (same as MOA) and the frog hopper. (MOA) There is a VERY small bumper car area and a small go-cart track. There is a small climbing area. There is also a bowling area & video games that cost extra. The lines for the rides will be long. It is also a bit congested even without the long lines.

3) We have never had any management issues have have stayed there many times.

4) The Hotel Rome is clean.....really don't care for the hotel itself or the rooms. Although the kids would find the bunk beds super fun!

There just isn't much to do in the indoor water area or the theme park area. We find that the GW is on the smaller end of the Dells hotels, but there is a lot more to do there than Mnt Olympus. Love the Kalahari and the Wilderness. Although Chula Vista is on the smaller end, they have some unique rides and we enjoy the overall atmosphere. Mnt Olympus/Hotel Rome are on a lower scale.