We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Looks like the two of us will be going to the Dells for a quick weekend trip. I realize much of what people go to the Dells for will be closed.

Right now, on my "list" are the following . . .

* Wollersheim Winery

* Circus World Museum

* Cedar Creek Cheese Factory

* Dr. Evermor's Forevertron Park

* A drive through Amish county in Columbia County

Any suggestions for free or inexpensive places to see/experience?

Also, where is the best place to get discounts/coupons for dining, etc?

And lastly, does anyone have suggestions for a fun place to watch Sunday night's Packers' game . . . with decent bar-type food?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
1. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

http://www.baraboo.com/tourisim.html Check out Mid Continent Railway if open http://www.midcontinent.org/ride/ride.html (offering the Santa Express Nov. 24/25) otherwise closed for the season.

The theater has some events going on:

http://www.alringling.com/

http://www.saukcountyhistory.org/

Note some of the above aren't free but I thought I'd throw them in the mix just in case.

…wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturalareas/index.asp… Parfrey's Glen

Edited: 12:57 pm, November 21, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Thanks for the suggestions. The train is actually something I would generally love to do, but a Santa Train with mostly kids (and their parents) is probably not something my friend (who's leaving hers behind) probably won't want to do.

The Sauk History Museum (the mansion) looks very interesting with their "growing up" exhibit.

Wisconsin
reviews: 14
3. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

I would imagine Damons will have the game on their huge screens. The food is decent - at least it was the last time I was there. The Brat House also has a huge screen to watch the game. They have good food.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Thanks PP . . . who knows, we may just stop into some local corner bar away from the Dells.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
5. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Damon's has been getting very mixed reviews lately. But if you want big screens that's the place to go.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Damon's for their food, so good to know about the one in the Dells. And big screens aren't necessarily a high priority. Thanks for the feedback Elveric :)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
7. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

I'm not sure if the eagles will be there this time of the year, but there are some good viewing spots to watch the eagles along the river in Prairie du Sac, directly across the river from Wollersheim Winery. By the way, I love Wollersheim.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Sounds good. Wollersheim is having their Vintage Christmas Celebration tomorrow, so we may avoid the crowds and try for Sunday or Monday there.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Just a quick follow-up until I can get my trip report/travel journal written . . .

Love Christmas Mountain Resort (timeshare) in the Dells! We (my friend and I) enjoyed the Circus World Museum! I ended up doing some stuff alone, including Wollersheim Winery (liked it) and the Dr. Evermore's "park" (very interesting . . . amazing actually). (Here's the link if you're not familiar with the place or his work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forevertron ).

My friend wasn't feeling 100% so we didn't get to do much in the way of other attractions in the area. She did love the day trip we took up to the Amish Country around Cashton, WI. In fact, it was probably a highlight given that we got to visit some shops in the area that I had not been able to visit in the past (including Down a Country Road, an Amish bakery and the K&K/Old Country Cheese Factory).

Unfortunately, no eagles seen along the Wisconsin River, although I did enjoy my drive through Prairie du Sac and Sauk City just to see what was around there. (I found the Sauk City bowling lanes inside a bar . . . 4 lanes in a small room adjacent to the main bar!)

As for the Packer's game, we stayed in and had a pizza delivery from the Fire House Pizza place near the resort. It was good . . . but we couldn't believe how expensive pizzas are in the Dells ($19 for a 14" with two toppings from Moose Jaw! Are you kidding me?)

Thanks to everyone who provide suggestions.

Iowa
reviews: 328
10. Re: The Dells - This Weekend (11/23-11/26)

Sounds like you guys had a great trip, even with your friend not feeling the best!

I had never heard of Dr. Evermore's park. I think we might have to check it out this summer. It looks like something we'd all enjoy seeing. My SIL is kind of "artsy" so something like that would be right up her alley:-).