We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hiking around Dells?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
reviews: 145
Best hiking around Dells?

In two weeks we are headed to the Dells for a week. We are avid hikers and are looking for some good morning hikes in the 2-4 mile range that'll let us see some woods, water, and if we're lucky, some wildlife.

Any suggestions about where to hike would be greatly appreciated!

Wisconsin
reviews: 135
1. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

Good Luck Luv, old buddy. I think most people "hike" up the steps to the water slides in the Dells. That really is rather sad, as there are some beautiful parks. I wish I could remember the name of the place we found, I believe it was a county park, between Chula Vista and the downtown area.

Are you interested in a short drive to Devils Lake State Park? They've got some good trails there, both challenging right up the rocky face and the more easy version. It's a neat place, like going back to the 50's.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
2. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

Devil's Lake would be great and you may want to check out Rocky Arbor State Park as well:

dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/rockyarbor/

I'm not sure if it's good hiking or not but you can look into this one as well as a possible option. Devil's Lake is much loved in Wisconsin, that is a good place to go. Also near Devil's Lake is Parfrey's Glen:

devilslakewisconsin.com/information-center/…

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
3. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

Hey F_T--I'll lose my mind if I try to go to the waterparks all day, every day. The 13 year olds are thrilled with the prospect, but there's only so much chlorinated fun I can manage each day!

Devil's Lake looks great as does Parfrey's Glen, though my rock hopping skills leave something to be desired.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Jackson, Wisconsin
reviews: 122
4. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

Mirror lake state park is also within a couple miles of the Dells

Wisconsin
5. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

I saw Mirror Lake on the map, but don't know anything about it. Here's is a website that Hatchpal posted elsewhere. It's got really good information about Hiking, camping and fishing through out the country. Check it out for more info about the area.

http://www.wildernet.com/

At Devil's Lake, we didn't realize that there's the "straight up the rocks" version and the long, easy ramble. We found that out AFTER we spoke to our daughter and her fiance. We couldn't figure out why our experiences were so different. I had no idea I could climb like that!

Edited: 1:05 pm, August 07, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
6. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

That's funny F_T! Good for you to scramble straight up the rocks! Gotta keep the daughter on her toes, wondering what her parental units will do next.

I'm feeling better about our hiking options now and am looking forward to exploring some of the Wisconsin woods!

Wisconsin
reviews: 51
7. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

A local hiking book also recommends a hike in Rocky Arbor state park, about two miles from the Dells. It looks like there is one major loop trail, about 1.1 miles but moderate to difficult. It also mentions mosquitos- which I'm guessing are more active right now due to some relatively recent rains.

You really can't go wrong with Devil's Lake- there are also a couple of swimming beaches and concession stands with ice cream that the kids would likely enjoy!

Enjoy your trip.

Briggsville...
8. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

A great morning walking trail in Wisconsin Dells is located on River Road just south of Chula Vista. It is located on the over 1,300 acres of State Natural Area.

A long winding trail through the woods leads to spot where you can access a beach right on the Wisconsin River. You can't miss it if you drive down River Rd as there is a large DNR parking lot for the hiking trails.

Here is a DNR webpage with more details

dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/sna/index.asp?SNA=283

Also this site is a great resource for information on the Wisconsin Dells area.

http://www.dells.com/

Wisconsin
9. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

That River Road area sounds like the park we found. We took the walk to the water. I remember thinking THIS is what the Dells should be about, a beautiful woods and a wonderful view of the river. The natural beauty is there, you just have to look for it past the FUDGE shops (you'll have to post on our MI forum if you have any) and kitsch.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
10. Re: Best hiking around Dells?

Thanks kfd12! This trail sounds perfect as well.

F_T--I know we won't escape the Dells without something worthy of posting on the fudge thread!