We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 2
Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

My husband and I moved to Milwaukee a few years ago and we have not been to the Dells, and have heard mixed things about it. Some say it is great fun especially for kids, others that it is cheesy and has the same vibe as the state fair and we should avoid it at all costs and to go to Door County instead (which I am affraid would be boring for a 2 year old, but I agree we would probably like that better)?

Our son loves pools and waterparks, so we thought this would be a nice 1 night trip for him and why not try it.

I wanted to get some recomendations on where to stay and what waterpark is the best. We are not on a limited budget and prefer a hotel that has 2 rooms (so we can put our son to sleep in 1 room while we stay in the other).

What is generally considered the nicest waterpark and hotel but is also kid friendly (can not be a place that we will be embarrassed if our son is a normal toddler at dinner)?

Thanks in advance!

il.
1. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

If you need two rooms you could always check into condo rental, we satyed at the carribean club resort around memorial day, we had a two bedroom unit, they are located on lake delton so you are away from the crowds but only a few minutes to downtown, they have indoor and outdoor pools, beach swimming and decks for grilling out right on the lake, J.S.

www.caribbeanclubresort.com

Edited: 7:43 pm, June 26, 2012
wisconsin
reviews: 22
2. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

We just took my two year old son to Door County about a month ago and he loved it. He really enjoyed the boats, water, Cana Island light house and the parks. Granted you won't be able to enjoy all the little shops with a young toddler, but you can still enjoy Door County with a two year old. We also took him to the Farm, a petting farm and he enjoyed that. There is plenty to do in Door County for young children.

Iowa
reviews: 328
3. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

I think what you've heard about the Dells is all true: it is a bit cheesy (at least some of it), but also lots of fun, especially for kids. Imagine a town where everywhere you look is go cart tracks, mini-golf, water parks, candy stores, and all sorts of attractions. Pretty much a kid heaven:-). I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone under the age of 18 that wouldn't enjoy it.

For places to stay, I would recommend the Great Wolf Lodge. They have several room types available that have separate sleeping areas for kids. The cabin suite and bear den both look really cute ("themed" kid sleeping areas). The waterpark at Great Wolf is really nice; it's all close together. They also had a few areas that are JUST for toddlers, which is nice. Plus, every night they have a story time in the lobby for little ones.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 15
4. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

The Dells is a great mini vacation, as there is something enjoyable for everyone! If you haven't gone I'd recommend going at least once to experience for yourself! When I go, personally, I always stay at the Black Hawk Motel. It is not a water park hotel, but does have a pool/park area for young children and is very cozy. I love the atmosphere, plus it is just outside the strip so lots to do with in walking distance, but still quiet. The Black Hawk does have joining rooms, and gives lots of coupons. I know you arent on a budget but saving a lil $ never hurt anyone. The beds are AMAZING!! As for water parks, I like Noah' Arc I never liked staying at the water park hotels, personally. Too loud and too many parents not watching their children.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
5. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

If you want a separate bedroom for the child to sleep, you could look at Kalahari and Great Wolf, These are not adjoining rooms, but the more secure "room in a room" idea. The idea of leaving a two-year-old in a room with its own door to the outside makes me nervous.

Kalahari just re-did the kids area in the indoor waterpark to make it more parent-friendly.

Oh, and the Dells is very tacky. A different tacky than Door County. Think of the Dells as a carnival midway and you get the idea.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
6. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

Noah's Ark is the best waterpark overall. In my opinion it's best to enjoy this in the summer, over waterpark hotels. Waterpark hotels are nice if you can afford both experiences and can enjoy them. Otherwise they're a treat in the winter months here in WI (except the outdoor areas which of course are closed).

Wisconsin Deer Park is fun for all ages.

Aloha for on the water stay: http://www.alohabeachresort.com/

smaller nice places that rate well: www.indiantrailmotel.com

www.blackhawkmotel.com

Polynesian has great mature outdoor grounds to enjoy and is a suitable smaller scale waterpark resort:

http://www.dellspolynesian.com/

A little bigger and great for young ones is Great Wolf:

http://www.greatwolf.com/dells/waterpark

http://wisdeerpark.com/

perfect for young ones is the Riverside and Great Northern Railway:

http://www.randgn.com/

Fenton, Michigan
7. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

I did a lot of research on taking toddlers to Dells and Great Wolf Lodge seems to be the no 1 resort parents recommend. Their water park is indoor and designed for little ones. They also seem to have tons of other activities. You can check out their website.

Though most people recommend Noah's Arch, we took out about three year old and 15 month old to Mt Columbus and have lots of fun. My other mom friend also said she prefers Mt for family and Noah's for adults. Check out my trip report-- "family fun in wisconsin dells"

Have fun!

8. Re: Dells with 2 year old & hopefully parents enjoy as well:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, July 01, 2013