We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 8
Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

Hi,

I am getting married this August and for my bachelorette party I decided I wanted to go to a waterpark hotel in the Dells. I know that is kind of a weird choice, but I am a bit of a nerd, and two of my bridesmaids can't drink, so that leaves out a lot of options. There will be at least 5 of us, possibly as many as 10. We range in age from 19-35. We plan on getting a 3-bedroom suite or condo. Should we go with the Wilderness or the Kalahari, or is there an even better option? We want a kitchen so we can cook some of our own food, since most of us are poor students. I love waterslides, and would like lots of choices of them. Which one has better slides and activities for adults? Are the restaurants at either property decent, or would you recommend some other restaurant? Also, would people recommend staying one night or two? Your advice is appreciated.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 99
1. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

I recommend staying at a more minimalist resort and take in Noah's Ark instead. I think for the fun factor that really has it all in the way of waterparks. You could stay two nights more easily then and if weather is a factor (never has been when we've gone but can happen) go the day that's best. Also if you do Noah's Ark weekdays are better than weekends but I'm thinking you'll have to stick to a weekend correct? But if you're splurging and do Kalahari or Wilderness I think you can have your fun in a day and be good. After checkout you can explore other things in the area as well just make the best of your prior day too by arriving early, taking things in and checking in. I'm not sure if you can get in the waterpark at the resort sooner than your room or stay at the waterpark after checkout till you're done or not. You'll have to check with the resort. Wilderness is more spread out. Kalahari is a favorite for many but both rank high so check the websites thoroughly to see what best suits you. Also Chula Vista is a third option you may want to consider. For outside restaurants we always enjoy Pizza Pub www.pizzapub.com . I'll let those who've tried the on site restaurants comment on those as well as kitchens.

Edited: 10:46 am, June 22, 2012
3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
2. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

If a waterpark is the main factor, then I think hatchpal4u is correct.

If you want to be able to all meet someplace, park and be there for the party, I would look at Kalahari or Wilderness. Both are going to be expensive tho. I do think both properties have units with some cooking facilities, but if you are just there one night I would not even mess with that. Check-in is 4 and check out is 11, so you won't really be able to do much cooking. If you stay at either resort, you can get wristbands early and spend the whole day (and the day you check out) in the waterparks -- you just need to change in the locker room.

Kahunaville and Damons at Kalahari both have decent food. There is also the Great Karoo buffett, but I have not been there since they apparently changed the menu to more Italian.

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 8
3. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

Thanks. We probably will be going on a weekday, since many of us are working weekends for the summer. Do the waterparks (either the ones at the hotels or Noah's Ark) have more limited hours on weekdays that I should be concerned about?

Wisconsin
4. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

I know that the many times we have been to the wilderness they tell you if you are with an adult group u need to put down a deposit of something like $2000.

Edited: 10:16 pm, June 22, 2012
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 99
5. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

If your bachelorette party is in August here's Noah's Ark Schedule for then:

www.noahsarkwaterpark.com/park-info/hours-2/ (you might have to click the month to get directly to which month you want). It does vary depending on what times you go throughout the season so it pays to look. The motels/resorts can have varying hours as well in certain "areas" if it's a reasonable or big water area/park. So definitely check with their websites and with them directly to find it out for your specific time, if possible.

Edited: 11:37 pm, June 22, 2012
3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
6. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

By mid-August, all of the waterparks can be on strange schedules -- depending also on crowds and weather. But you will still find plenty to do.

Outdoor waterparks close BY dusk even in the busiest times. It's a safety issue.

7. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari for adults (girl's getaway)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 25, 2013