We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best outdoor pools?

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
Best outdoor pools?

We are planning a trip mid-August to the Dells. We've previously stayed at the Wilderness and the Polynesian. We liked both. I would only stay at the Polynesian in the summer because the indoor park is simply too small. And the Wilderness is great, but out of our price range this year.

So I was looking at the Great Wolf because I got an email with 15% off. Surprisingly, the rates between the Great Wolf and Polynesian aren't that different. But my concern is the outdoor area at the Great Wolf is very small. Because it will be summer when we are there, we prefer to be outside. I was also looking at Hotel Rome and Mt. Olympus.

Help? My kids will be 10 and 6 and are not crazy adventerous.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 107
1. Re: Best outdoor pools?

I think you can't go wrong with Great Wolf, they have a link with photos of their outdoor areas, I thought they looked nice/sufficient but you judge for yourself. I would recommend this far and wide over Hotel Rome/Mt. Olympus. Though I've not stayed there I've read the reviews and looked into the websites. I hear lots of bad comments about Hotel Rome...We too liked the Polynesian, so if you enjoyed that Great Wolf should be suitable for you.

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Best outdoor pools?

Thank you hatch for your reply. I had watched the video of outdoors, but most of the slides were on the opposite side so I can't really tell how big it looks. But I'm sure it will be fine. I had read some reviews about Hotel Rome right after my post above, wow, not good at all. A shame, because it does look so nice there. I like that they have hardwood floors instead of carpets. Oh well.

Thanks, I think the Great Wolf will be our destination this year!!!!

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
3. Re: Best outdoor pools?

Just to let you know, Great Wolf is going through a corporate ownership change. That might explain the better rate.

Keeping that in mind, I think you will be much happier there than Hotel Rome -- provided you would actually get a room in Rome as opposed to one of the other properties Mt. Olympus has acquired.

Hatchpal -- Polynesian has a new management company. They are doing some cosmetic repairs, etc. But when I was there a couple weeks ago the really nice soap and shampoo were gone -- replaced with something much less appealing. I knew I should have taken the good stuff the time before!

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Best outdoor pools?

While I like the Polynesian and have enjoyed our stays there, I think its rates are too high for what it is, i.e. old, small and needs updating. With the early promo I got a sofa double queen suite for $135 a night at Great Wolf. The Polynesian was either the same or more for a comparable room. If I want to spend $200 per night I will go to the Wilderness or Kalahari.

Minnesota
reviews: 385
5. Re: Best outdoor pools?

I would choose Mnt Olympus or Chula Vista over Great Wolf for the outdoor park. If you stay at Mnt Olympus request Rome Hotel. The hotel isn't as fancy as GW, Wilderness, Kalahari or Chula but we've always found it clean and adequate. The outdoor of of Mnt Olympus is great!

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
6. Re: Best outdoor pools?

Randy -- Have you been to the Dells lately and seen the Mt. Olympus hotel grab? They bought several other properties in a variety of conditions and they seem to be using those as their "discount" lodging. Meanwhile, the price to actually stay at Hotel Rome has gone up. There have been several posts complaining they were told it would be $200 or more per night to move to Rome. Is it Bait and Switch or just the fact that people searching a deal don't read the fine print? Probably some of both.

I agree that the outdoor stuff at Mt. Olympus is great, but not if they stick you at the old CopaCabana and you need to make that trek.

Also, Mt. O permanently closes the pools at the smaller properties to force you to the main park. That seems a shame to me.

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 22
7. Re: Best outdoor pools?

Given your kids ages, what they want to do, and the rate you got, I think the Great Wolf is a no-brainer.

Minnesota
reviews: 385
8. Re: Best outdoor pools?

We have stayed a couple of times since they started buying up the strip, most recently fall. We specifically ask for Rome. It is definitely more costly to stay directly on-site, but worth it compared to an off-site hotel. (What I've seen is $100 - $130 more for Rome) Rome is not at the top of our list, but it does have a nice outdoor area.

$135 for a double sofa at GW is a great deal. The hotel and rooms are very nice.

9. Re: Best outdoor pools?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, February 08, 2013
10. Re: Best outdoor pools?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, April 30, 2013