We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

News reports today that the CopaCabana Hotel next to Tommy Bartletts on the strip has been purchased by Mt. Olympus.

Expect all kinds of Mt. O promotional hoopla on the overpass.

Mt. Olympus has purchased a lot of older hotels / motels in the past two years. Guests have grumbled that the pools at those properties have been closed to send everyone down the road to the main Mt. O attractions, and also that Mt. O has been less than clear about just how close your room is to the main attraction. CopaCabana is close to two miles from the Mt. O main gate.

Chicago
reviews: 70
11. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

We stayed at Copa in the 90's, it was one of the first hotels that had "water park" features (before Great Wolf and the like were built). Sad to see that they ripped out that pool with the big toucan.

milwaukee
reviews: 53
12. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

We are just returning from a 3 night stay in the dells at Mt Olympus. I remember reading this post a year ago and commenting on the expansion/take over. After seeing everything I must say that it does resemble a village. All the buildings are blue/white and were scattered along the parkway in between the other hotels, stores and restaurants. I hate to be negative but it's kinda like a double edged sword.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 94
13. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

It is interesting to note that Copa Cabana was purchased in late 2011...so the reviews for the newly named establishment (Mt. Olympus Village) also include when it was named Copa Cabana. We visited a few years ago so we didn't visit Mt. Olympus Village as it says but rather Copa Cabana. I think it's impt. to note the change. In the reviews above it does note (formerly called Copa Cabana). For us we enjoyed it as Copa Cabana but with new ownership comes new change so it's good to keep a balanced approach to reading the reviews knowing that.

milwaukee
14. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

Do you happen to know why Grandma Honeys went out of business and the building torn down? Are there any known plans for that empty lot? Just curiousj

3rd Chaise to the...
15. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

Grandma Honey's struggled with a poor economy, an old building and a bad location. (And probably rent that was over the moon.) They were the last in a long line of pretty decent family-operated restaurants to fail in that spot over the last 20 years. I don't know of any plans for that location.

milwaukee
16. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

I knew it went out of business but decided to drive past out of curiosity. My husband and I saw that the building had been torn down and it's just an empty lot. We weren't sure if there were any development plans. As yearly visitors to the Dells, we've definately missed Grandma Honeys these last few times.

3rd Chaise to the...
17. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

I have no idea who owns that property, but would not be surprised if it's now owned by Trappers Turn and will just be cleaned up and left empty. There was always a lot of junk there that I'm sure made a bad impression on those headed to TT.

Orland Park...
18. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

One of the things I enjoyed about the Dells was going down the strip and seeing all the different pools and hotels. The last time I was at the Dells was 2010 and after my recent trip here in 2013, I was really disappointed to see hotels shut down and old ones painted blue and white and Mt. Olympus taking over everything. They are ruining the Dells. I never stayed at Copa Cabana but I liked going past it and seeing the pool. Now all that's left is a grassy area where the pool used to be and the broken down pirate ship. How disappointing. Why would anyone want to stay in one of the Mt. Olympus hotels when you have to share the waterpark with 24 other hotels and the general public? This is why I stay at Great Wolf Lodge. Hopefully, Mt. Olympus leaves that alone along with everything else they haven't taken over yet.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
reviews: 2
19. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

well put, Kristy. I agree.

20. Re: CopaCabana bought by Mt. Olympus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 30, 2014