We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Club" at Chula Vista

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Il
reviews: 36
"The Club" at Chula Vista

Hi friends,

Anyone heard of "The Club at Chula Vista"? Some new marketing of a timeshare /vacation club /points thing? Looks like discounts on all things at the resort.

Has anyone done the pitch? They say 60 minutes & bring the kids. I don't know if we'll make it 5 minutes with our two little ones!

Any info or experience or costs appreciated.

Thanks,

SeaBass

283 replies to this topic
Chicago
161. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

***Just bumping this so new members see if first and see what "The Club" is all about.****

I even don't know where to start on these guys. First of all don't waste your precious vacation time listening to these scam artists. My wife and I fell for their scam and had to fight hard to get our money back. Here is a breakdown of how everything went.

My wife and I attended The Club presentation. Our salesperson name was Greg . Dennis was the financial person that showed us the prices of the different plans. We were hesitant about joining the club, but were pressured into it. They promised our dream vacation for $400 and showed us the savings that members received over the next 20 years and it seemed like a good deal, but they insisted that we had to sign up today because the deal was only good for today. We were then welcomed to “The Family” after we signed the paperwork for a 20 year vacation club valued at $5300.

After sleeping on it, there were a few questions that I had. I had questions about the bonus weeks and also about the maximum that we would pay for them. During the presentation they kept mentioning that we would never pay more than $199 - $799 for a week vacation. None of this was in the contract. I went back downstairs to see if they could answer my concerns. I first talked to the head manager. I informed him that the 3 bonus weeks were not in the contract and that Greg and Dennis kept telling us that we would never pay more than $799. He then said that it was in the books that we had. He looked through the books and couldn’t find it. He said that he was little rusty on the books and would have somebody else take a look. Another salesman came over to help me. He was a younger gentleman; I told him that I had concerns about the price going up. I said that the way that Greg and Dennis portrayed it, we were locked in at those prices. He said that I was wrong and everything goes up in price due to inflation and also said that “It wasn’t his problem”. That was not the way Greg made it sound. He then said the prices have never been over $799 in the past 4 years. I asked him for proof and he said that he didn’t have any. He was very rude and didn’t treat like a member of “The Family.” He walked away because he could see that I was getting more upset with his answers. Greg our salesman came over next. He tried to calm me down. He kept saying, “Give it a try and don’t be upset.” I told Greg that we were thinking about canceling it. He said, “You can’t because you signed the paperwork.” I told him that if I wanted to, I would contact a lawyer. He backed off and said that we don’t want to go there. I talked to Greg for a little longer. I finally decided that I had enough and just told him that I was ok. I didn’t want to waste my vacation time arguing about this. I wanted to spend time with the family and not being stressed.

When I got home from vacation, I was able to create an account on Trading places and look at the website. This was the website that they said was password protected for "Member only". I was then able to pick two vacations and reserve them without being a member. I looked at the website policies and rule#1 stated that you DO NOT NEED TO BE A MEMBER to book the hot deals. So what the heck did we pay for?

I called The Club 3 days after we signed to cancel my membership and spoke to Dennis. I told him that I wanted out of the contract. I told him that I was able to book a vacation without paying for membership. He said that he couldn’t believe it. I even told him that was listed in their FAQ’s. He said that was like a deer in headlights after hearing this. He had to take a look and call me back.

Dennis called me back. He said that I was WRONG and there was no way a non-member could look at the website. He said that I was not looking at it correctly and it was password protected. I even read to him what it said directly on the web site. He wouldn’t acknowledge it. We kept going back and forth, he insisted to give it a try. I said No and that I wanted to cancel it. He said that you couldn’t do that because of the signed contract. I said that we are not getting anywhere and that I wanted to speak to his boss. He kept ignoring my request. I told Dennis that we could do this two ways, I would dispute the charge or you could credit me. Once again he ignored me and kept going on about giving it a try. He finally said if you want to cancel, write a letter to the general manager. I asked for the address and who to send it to. He just gave me a PO Box number and no name. This got me really upset. I then asked for his boss’s name. Once again he just ignored me, for some reason he wouldn’t give me a name. Finally after going and back and forth, he said address it to Garret. Not sure why it took me raising my voice to get his name.

I sent a certified letter the next day telling them to cancel my membership. I also left a message for the manager on duty at Chula Vista.

Karolyn the manager called me back. Karolyn was very nice and was stuck in a rock and a hard place. She was represented the hotel and not "The Club." She said that since this was a legal contract that there was nothing that she could do. I informed her that I already called the Wisconsin Attorney General (Thanks to my Dad), they informed me that "The Club" had 4 complaints already. I also told her that I disputed the charge with my credit card. She was caught by surprise that I did this. I also told her that I was willing to take this to the newspapers and show how much of a scam this club is. She said that she would call me back. 30 minutes later she said that we would get a refund.

Sorry this is so long, I just don't want anyone else to scammed like we did. If we didn't fight back hard we would never have gotten a full refund back.

Here some of the facts that I learned:

1) 4 Complaints filed against them with the Wisconsin Attorney General Office. You can verify by calling them at:

DATCP (Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection) (608) 224-4953. There will be 5 when they receive mine.

2) Look at www.trading places.com to get the same hot deals they promised. There are some deals on here

3) The other website they said was great was equivalent to the Entertainment card that schools sell to save money on restaurants, hotels, etc..

4) The salesmen at The Club use high pressure to get you to sign and can be big bullies. Plus they tell very cheesy jokes.

5) Don't be ashamed if you felt scammed by them. It happens to the best of us. Just make sure you keep very detailed notes, this helped me tremendously. It's what you do afterward that counts.

If you would like more information on what happened, please pm me.

Wisconsin
reviews: 130
162. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

I'm so sorry you had to go thru this but bravo to you for fighting back and sharing your story. As I've mentioned before, I just stumbled upon this thread one day and started to respond. I wondered why we keep getting brand new Trip Advisor members posting here. Then I Googled The Club at Chula Vista and this forum is the second one down. So after these poor people get scammed, they turn to the internet for information and then find this. If only people would come here BEFORE they spend the money. But you're doing a terrific service and hopefully the AG's office will take some action.

Columbia, Missouri
163. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Just got scammed last weekend. Since you received your money back, is there any advice on what I can say or anything I can do to get the contract cancelled and get my money back. I talked to Phil at the Club and he said I can not cancel the membership and I will not get my money back. Any advice?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
164. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

I do not recommend this service.. It is a total rip off

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
165. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

My complaint will be #6 if they haven't already received more.

Davenport, Iowa
166. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Hi all ~ My wife and Kids will be visiting Chula Vista Resorts in Wis Dells and will be attending this Sales Pitch. Can we skip the breakfast/lunch/dinner and get right to the meeting or is there a group slide show and then you meat your sales person?

Thanks

Wisconsin
167. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

My suggestion skip the meeting entirely!! Feign illness, don't show up, or do whatever you can! These predators are expert at knowing how to find any weakness and will see a way to get you to sign. If you feel you can't get out of it, go back and read the posts from others.

First this will confirm for both you and your wife that you WILL NOT sign up. Second, you'll get tips from just a couple of people who successfully gave the answer that stopped the sales people dead in their tracks. Practice saying these phrases, no I'm NOT kidding, until you know you can calmly walk away from it and try and salvage whatever vacation you can. Nearly 30 years later I still remember the tactics they used to try and get us to sign for something similar.

3rd Chaise to the...
reviews: 31
168. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Cody, If you are really so anxious to get to the salesperson, I suggest you pin $5000 cash to your lapel. They will find you.

Chicago, Il
reviews: 36
169. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

I don't think you can skip the meal. That's when they "friend" you and butter you up. Then you go to the office for an overview, then spend too much time touring the condos & the property (which you probably already saw), then back to the office for the soft to medium to hard close.

They don't do the group pitch like some resorts I've seen in Mexico. It's all you vs the salesperson. Practice saying no and mean it. Tell them upfront you're there for the preview deal, you do not want to buy into anything, you don't want a meal, you already saw the facilities. Don't negotiate the price down or even sound interested or they'll come on stronger. Just say no, not interested, please (sign our voucher, give us our gift, whatever) and leave happily.

Hopefully they'll realize you're not a sucker...I mean buyer...and move on.

Wisconsin
170. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Hmm, you COULD say "Gee, I wish we could! However, because we just filed for bankruptcy, we're not sure if our check would bounce...can we write you one anyway?"

Reply to: "The Club" at Chula Vista
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted