We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Club" at Chula Vista

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Il
reviews: 39
"The Club" at Chula Vista

Hi friends,

Anyone heard of "The Club at Chula Vista"? Some new marketing of a timeshare /vacation club /points thing? Looks like discounts on all things at the resort.

Has anyone done the pitch? They say 60 minutes & bring the kids. I don't know if we'll make it 5 minutes with our two little ones!

Any info or experience or costs appreciated.

Thanks,

SeaBass

288 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
1. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Did the presentation. They take you to a nice breakfest or lunch prior to the "pitch". Not as a hard sell as you might think. $100.00 in vouchers for dinner or whatever you chose. An hour was almost two for us, which seemed par for everyone there. Actually ended up signing papers which I rarely do on short notice. Like most presentations, most there for the freebies. All in all, have used the program and have been pleased. Our kids were old enough to stay in the room. If they are restless it may be tough.

Chicago, Il
2. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

So we did the pitch. It was very low key. Program wasn't for us. We ate lunch, went to their Club office, listened to the set up, offered a tour of a 2br condo & didn't need it since we're staying in one already, they turned us over to the "money guy" to try to close us. I re-explained our travel style & it didn't make sense. We have the time & effort/ability to search out our own travel deals & savings.

The cost was approx $5K for 10 yrs of membership. Not bad for those who need the convenience of their services.

Adios,

SeaBass

Wisconsin
3. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Sounds like it went well. Not for everyone, but as we are about 90 miles out and kids are young it works for use. Key is weekdays if you can as weekends are Very busy. Good luck in your travels.

Chicago, Il
4. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

We're in Chicago, so 3 hr drive non-stop isn't so easy. 90 miles is much more tolerable to pop in for the day & use the water park for free (um, I mean 'included in your program'). That alone is $32/pp.

I went through the properties listed in Mexico, Florida, all over the Caribbean, etc. All places I've been fortunate enough to travel. Some are really good, but beware that some are really bad. Use TripAdvisor to research the property, or ask me, ha, for my opinion.

And know all your "outs"...what are the terms to cancel your membership. I believe Wisconsin has a 3-5 day "review period" for all contracts. Also, make sure you understand all the annual fees, possible extra "cash calls" which are becoming popular now that timeshare properties are aging & repairs are needed. Most of the original money is gone so properties may fall into disrepair if timeshare owners don't pitch in. They might legally be able to raise your annual fees to make up for this.

So let us know if you want some guests in your 3-bedroom condo! We'd love to come up & golf, swim, etc! I still have some 2-for-1 buffet coupons for Market Fresh Buffet. Got them skiing at Cascade from the peel off back of the lift tickets. Such a deal!

Adios,

SeaBass

La Crosse, WI
reviews: 19
5. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Thanks for starting this thread. It's the only one I can find anywhere. We are planning on listening to the presentation next weekend. Glad to hear it's not terribly long.

Can anyone else comment on the price and/or benefits?

Chicago, Il
6. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

If you're close enough to Wis Dells to use the "country club" features (discount golf, free waterpark day passes, dining discounts, anytime room discounts, etc.) and you don't have those things in your home town, you might like that.

We met another family from a smaller WI town who didn't have a community pool, so 1 hr drive was no prob for them. It was worth it for that feature alone.

Don't buy the idea that you can trade to another location. It will always come back as "not available". I asked the salesman to describe the process. He said Chula Vista is your home property. Say you want to go to Maui. Maui owner would have to want your exact week at Chula Vista in order to initiate a trade.

He said the most valuable home property owners (islands, Mexico, beaches, ski areas, other desirable locations) have the upper hand over owners in, say, Chula Vista. If you're happy using only Chula Vista and will go a lot, do it. We like to move around, although we've chosen CV every time to Wis Dells, and rent a condo on our own using VRBO.com. No ownership, no commitment, no annual dues, etc.

So be firm right away if you mean no. The time involved is the condo unit tour. We were staying in a condo, so we said no need to do that. And the kids started getting whiny right on cue!

Bye,

SeaBass

Chicago, Il
7. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

One more tip, ask the price up front in the pitch. I think he started at $9999. Bottom line was $5000 after negotiating. Wow. Then you can determine the value of $5000+fees as you listen, instead of getting the big build up and trying to back into the cost he tells you at the end.

La Crosse, WI
reviews: 19
8. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

Thanks for the info- very helpful.

For us, we are about 90 minutes door to door. Realistically, if this was our "cabin" and we went one weekend a month, in theory we could save a lot of money over time. I agree that I wouldn't hold my breath to try and trade with other places, but I think with 2 young kids that we would be happy using it.

Good to know about the pricing. The total amount doesn't seem to bad, but I'm curious to find out more about the fees. That added on top of the lump sum may make me hesitant.

Again, thanks

Chicago, Il
9. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

You're welcome. Don't forget besides annual fees, there are per visit copays, too. And they have the right to slap you with "facility improvement fees" if they must put on a new roof, fix the elevators, upgrade the pool or golf course, etc. Older properties are feeling that now.

Weigh that with keeping all your money now & paying per use each time you go, and not being locked in. There ya go! Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Great Lakes
10. Re: "The Club" at Chula Vista

SeaBass

I hope your are still around. We just did the whole presentation thing at Chula Vista, we ended up buying it which we never do this kind of thing. After doing it and driving home we want out, we are moving from the chicago area and we were really planning on using the whole 3 bonus weeks other places. I don't think it will be worth it, where can I find out about the 3-5 day contract review thing for wisconsin.

Appreciate any help you can offer, we just signed on Monday.

thanks

Reply to: "The Club" at Chula Vista
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted