We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DeBroux cottages

Which Sturgeon Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 10
DeBroux cottages

These appear to be located next door to Robertson's cottages bnut I can not find any reviews about DeBroux cottages?

http://debrouxcottages.com/index.htm

Looking for a place to go with the dogs and relax.

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
chicago area
1. Re: DeBroux cottages

Don't know this place but the Shallows south of Egg Harbor is on the bayside and allows dogs with some restrictions. Julies in Fish Creek is located right at the entrance to Peninsula State Park, allows dogs and has a nice restaurant. There are also some cottages on Kangaroo Lake that allow dogs. Check VRBO for more options.

Chicago
reviews: 1
2. Re: DeBroux cottages

I've stayed at Debroux's two times and really liked it. Yes, they are near Robertson's. Debroux's and Robertson's are separated by the old Moorings property, which is now a vacant lot. The main reason we stayed here was because it allows dogs and has a boat dock. There are only 4 cottages on the property, plus the owners home. So it is nice and quiet, never crowded. The grounds are nice, nothing fancy, but a lot of land for dogs and kids to run around. There's also a small sand beach, but the water is very shallow and not really deep enough to swim. But our dogs loved it. We had two of the cottages, Bird's Tweet and Happy Days. They are right next to each other. There is also Lapping Waters, which is smaller, but right next to the water. And the other larger cottage is next to the owner's, set a little further back. There is one firepit near lapping waters, so if you like to have a campfire at night, you may have to share or claim it early. The cottages are old. I'm not sure what you are looking for, but in my opinion, cottages are supposed to be old and rustic. There's no air conditioning, the furniture is old and they are not the cleanest. But my family is fine with all of that. Although, my cousin and her kids didn't really want to sleep in the upstairs of Bird's Tweet and I don't think I would have either. A thorough cleaning, some fresh paint and some new bed linens and towels would go a long way here. It would also be a simple way to update the cottages.

Madison, Wisconsin
3. Re: DeBroux cottages

We stayed at DeBroux cottages, in particular, Bird's Tweet. The overall experience was terrible. I would highly suggest anyone with reservations to cancel and anyone looking to look elsewhere.

First, we arrived and right away noticed a strange smell. I thought it was natural gas, but my friends disagreed. We opened the windows to air the place out. Next, I checked the bathroom and found that the sink had what appeared to be cigarette ash in it, and I went to clean it out with water. I could hear the water leaking into the cabinet below. I checked the drain pipes and they were very loose, and water was leaking out, but more water was leaking out by the handles.

We called the owners, but they didn't answer. Next door there was a guy working on the cabin, and we asked him about it. He looked at the sink and started to repair it. He also mentioned he had "just painted the place" that morning. That took me off guard: If you're having guests, be sure to paint long before they arrive.

Eventually we found out the smell was still prevalent in the kitchen, and then we all agreed that it was natural gas leaking from the stove. The maintenance guy looked at it and sure enough the pilot light was out in the oven. He got it to light, but the real problem was that no one thought to walk through the unit before we arrived to check on these things. Leaking natural gas is a very serious problem, and we could have caused an explosion, injuring if not killing 6 adults and 1 child. Very unprofessional and unsafe.

Later that night we went to turn on the heater, and no one could get it to turn on. I checked the pilot light and it was out, too, but fortunately the gas line was off. We had a very cold night. Since the owner's were not responsive to our calls about the sink or stove, we didn't bother trying to call. The next day, I tried again to light and start the stove with no luck. We finally got a hold of the owner and he was able to light it with a blow torch. To put this in perspective, the temperatures outside were in the mid-30s to low 40s. It was very chilly that first night.

The next day, the sink started leaking again. At this point, I thought, "the hell with it". If they want to ruin their property, then whatever. As long as mold doesn't develop while I'm here. I also went to look for more paper towels and found some under the kitchen sink, where I noticed some severe water damage from what must have been a previous, serious leak. The shelf was bowed and black with remnants of mold.

We also needed more toilet paper at one point, and I couldn't find any reserves. I called the owner and he said to go find some in a shack that was full of junk, including supplies for the cabins, like bath towels. I was a bit shocked that they stored bath towels in a dirty, dusty, bug invested shack. I stopped using their towels after that point.

On our final day, the bill still hadn't arrived. We had to call the owner's again to drop off the bill so we could leave. At this point I didn't want to stress our friends out any more than we had been by getting into it with the owner, but they didn't give me a chance either way. They just left the bill when I was in the bedroom changing and left the property. I simply left a check, packed up, and left. I called them a day after we arrived home to discuss these issues, but they still haven't returned my call, which was exactly what happened while we were there.

Further, the owner actual did appear twice, but he refused to discuss the bill, noting that his wife was in charge of all of it. During our conversations with the wife before and during our visit, she was rather rude and not willing to be very helpful.

Overall, this situation added a lot of stress to our trip that was entirely unnecessary, and I won't recommend or return to DeBroux Cottages. Unprofessional, unsafe.

Madison, Wisconsin
4. Re: DeBroux cottages

Oh yeah, I forgot: the pictures on their website are tweaked. Things look cleaner, brigther, and newer than they really are. I was surprised by how some very simply things, like having straight curtain rods, would make the place at least look a bit better. Additionally, the deck you see in the photos: I wouldn't walk out on it. They had duct tape on the door leading out to it from the upstairs "bedroom"/attic, and it did not look safe.

Reply to: DeBroux cottages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted