We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to run....Door County

Which Sturgeon Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Want to run....Door County

Hey! My boyfriend and I desperately need away for this weekend. We are stressed over people and money. But we need this. I have never been to Door County. It would be about a 5 hour drive but I want to just get away. Without much money, can someone please assist me with an itinerary? We clearly can't stay at expensive hotels and eat at fancy restaurants. I just want a place that is quiet, yet adventurous and fun. We love the water. a wine tour or something would be amazing. Is there a good place to camp or no? We can take our camper to save money. Where is it inexpensive yet beautiful and what does anyone recommend for fun and adventure? Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 19
1. Re: Want to run....Door County

You can try to camp at Peninsula and Potawatomi State parks, but don't be surprised if they are filled up this weekend. Go to doorcounty.com and check out motels around Fish Creek, Ephraim, Sister Bay, Egg Harbor and Bailey's Harbor. The Main Street Motel in Fish Creek is well located and reasonably priced. Hike the Eagle Trail in Peninsula State Park, bike the Sunset bike loop in Peninsula State Park, and visit the villages mentioned above. Stop by Cave Point County Park and Whitefish Dunes State Park.

Egg Harbor WI
reviews: 28
2. Re: Want to run....Door County

If you plan ahead a bit you should be able to find a motel room in the $69-$79 price range for the weekend. You should start at Egg Harbor and look north like RickMP suggested. As a guide, I am 75% sold out for the weekend right now. Business has been very brisk this spring, so you should make a reservation to get what you want.

Lots to do for free up here, I suggest www.doorcounty.com. Also, a good mom and pop innkeeper should be able to help you with your plans.

Have a good trip!

Egg Harbor WI
3. Re: Want to run....Door County

Also, should be much less than 5 hrs to drive from Reedsburg. I can get from Egg Harbor all the way to Hudson in 5hrs or so.

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 19
4. Re: Want to run....Door County

Another good motel choice: http://www.lullabi-inn.com/

chicago area
5. Re: Want to run....Door County

Cape Cod or Lullabi in Egg Harbor, Main Street Motel in Fish Creek.

Walker, Minnesota
6. Re: Want to run....Door County

Also you can get a list of campgrounds at doorcounty.com

Larry

Sturgeon Bay...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Want to run....Door County

Ok...Ok, I have a feeling you may have already come up for a visit - but, here are my thoughts:

Actually, this time of year is perfect to come to Door County. I would first check www.doorcounty.com (the visitor's bureau up here) for options to stay, play, eat. You have a multitude of options from Potowatomi Park in Sturgeon Bay, to Peninsula Park in Fish Creek (both are FANTASTIC parks for hanging out). Pot park will be a bit quieter - but always full.

You will have more resort / hotel options in Sturgeon Bay (which is a great launching pad to the entire county), but there are wonderful options all over. In fact, Best Western or Motel 6 in Sturgeon Bay may have the lowest rates for rooms - or even AmericInn. Good luck and have fun!

Egg Harbor WI
8. Re: Want to run....Door County

Realizing that WR Morrow's post is for a thread over 5 months old, I need to clarify that the claim "You will have more resort/hotel options in Sturgeon Bay" is erroneous and self serving. While Sturgeon Bay has a good selection of lodging available, his wholesale dismissal of the prime tourism/lodging area of Door County, which is north of Sturgeon Bay, is foolish.

9. Re: Want to run....Door County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:36 am, September 13, 2012

Reply to: Want to run....Door County
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted