We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pioneer Inn - Closed.

Which Oshkosh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Pioneer Inn - Closed.

It's not just the DNR.. It;s not just the development group and its not just the city council, nor economic times. Its all of the above.

This project was railroaded from the beginning.

Given the pristine location, things could have been done to revitalize the place. Red tape, government intervention killed the place.

It was loosing money and the owners tried their best to continue it.

Personally, it was never a high end spa, resort. It was a middle of the line place where people like Nancy, Pat and many others took pride in their jobs. They cared and the customers cared back.

You don't find that anymore, and maybe its best not to.

I will never be the same. The people left, the traditions forgotten. Service is non existent in todays world. Sure they will take your money, provide shiny remodeling, but the people working there punch in and out. The few who do care, move on. The old staff always cared.

My Grandfather Carl Keyser, was a reporter for the Fond Du lac reporter in the 50-70's. He would have written a story that would have captured the spirited and drawn the attention. He has been gone for a long time now.

I just want to pull up, check it, and drive to my room. No fancy bottles of water, or palm pressing for tips. A trip to the pool and a nice dinner and drinks after. Maybe the game room or other activities.

Room Service was great but not stuffy. So was the dinning. I got to know them there so well, the chef would always make be beef stroganoff off the menu because he knew it was a favorite of the past. Breakfast was prefect and lunch was wonderful.. No continental crap in the lobby. And the holidays were as close to home as you could get.

I blame the council, the state and DNR. I hope that eyesore haunts you. and if it doesn't, you have no soles.

I would travel from Michigan 8 hours to get there, and my family started back in the 1960's and we continued from 1980's to 1990's.

I've been around enough councils and red tape, this has gone on too long, but it will never transfer to the original, only a time machine could do that.

I've never been to Mackinac because The Pioneer Inn was better. Maybe that will give you people some thoughts..

Sincerely,

The Heusers (40+ years)

4 replies to this topic
Chicago
reviews: 163
1. Re: Pioneer Inn - Closed.

i like your post---it says a lot about our current culture (but you need to proof read and fix the spellos and bad grammar).... i like the old fashioned resorts as well---like the kind you see in the michigan beachtowns....the beachway resort in saugatuck, the bluewater inn in GH, the sun n sand in SH, etc..... back in the day, these places were the places to be... maybe not top notch, but right up there.... now, they get mixed, or even negative reviews on TA because today's culture expects more bling, and wants instant gratification.... it can't appreciate these old timey resorts for what they are (or were).....

so, i hope your post stays up for awhile, but i suspect the forum police will shut it down......

Edited: 11:06 am, February 19, 2014
Wisconsin
reviews: 130
2. Re: Pioneer Inn - Closed.

ST, I too wonder if this will stay up. After reading all of it I can understand why they thought this would be a logical place to put it. I didn't realize the Pioneer Inn was closed. We stayed there many years ago when our daughter was a baby as a quick get away while Grandma and Grandpa babysat. I enjoyed it and it was just what we needed. It's too bad how many business have to close because they couldn't "adapt". Maybe not everything HAS to adapt or change, but I guess that's the process of life and change.

But a closing comment, Oshkosh is NOT Mackinac Island, nor do they have much at all in common.

Chicago
reviews: 163
3. Re: Pioneer Inn - Closed.

after i made my post, i did a little google research on it and it closed way back in 2006 or 2007.... so, not sure why the OP decided to post now, tho he did post to a TA thread on the subject during the time of closing under a different handle......

Wisconsin
reviews: 130
4. Re: Pioneer Inn - Closed.

Very strange Strange, thanks for the update.

Reply to: Pioneer Inn - Closed.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted