We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 117
Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Hi

We have decided to take the kids (11, 8, 6) on a short overnight to Milwaukee next Thursday night. We will be coming from the north stopping at the EAA in Oshkosh on the way down (the kids love it here). Here is where we need some help.

1. Looking at either the Hilton Garden Inn Airport or the Comfort Suites Park Place. Any suggestions on either place/bad locations/safety issues?

2. Wondering which is better Milwaukee Public Museum or Discovery World? If we did one would we have time for the other? Were also thinking of doing 1 and then adding the Domes.

We are going to the Brewer game friday night so we need to be there around 5 so we can eat at the restaurant during warmup.

Thursday night we have no dinner plans and were wondering if there is any neat restaurants we could do. Something different, kids wanted to do the Rainforest Cafe in Disney in December but didn't want to wait 45 minutes to eat.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Our kids love visiting museums. They loved the Cody Museum in Wyoming this past summer and the Mammoth Cave center and tour we did on the way home from Florida. We will be going to DC in September so we are trying to avoid national history/war museums since that is all we will be doing out there.

Thanks

Brookfield...
reviews: 3
21. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

You'll no doubt run into players from the visiting team since they always stay at the Pfister. BTW, once the kids are tucked in, head up to Blu, the lounge on the top floor. The views at night are spectacular.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
22. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

In a previous post I mentioned freeway construction projects. You should be aware that I-794 going west out of downtown has been really slow due to construciton. I recommend an alternate route to get to Mller Park from the Pfister.

I think your best route would be to pick up Canal Street at 6th,near the Harley Davidson museum. Canal will take you right to Miller Park. You could also just take Wisconsin ave straight out from downtown to Miller Park.

Brookfield...
reviews: 3
23. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Przyk is 100% correct on that. Actually, you should NEVER take 794 or 94 from downtown to Miller Park. Either take Canal from 6th to the park or Wisconsin Ave to Bluemound to the north lot.

Wisconsin
reviews: 1
24. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

I would say as long as you are downtown on a week day before dark, things are safe. Do not drive west or north of Marquette University (10th-17th and Wisconsin Ave) because it gets....lets just say scary!!

The Mineshaft is a fun place for kids in Hartford and I'd vote for the streets of old Milwaukee at the Milw Public Museum as another good choice! Dave and Busters is also an arcade/restaurant on hwy100 and North and there is Mayfair Mall just north of that location. A chucky cheese on Bluemound and Barker rd in Brookfield and a stone fire pizza off of Mooreland and hwy 45 in New Berlin are similar okay places to eat if you are looking to occupy kids.

If you're looking for a carhop/drive thru, there's a Sonic just south of Miller Park on Miller Parkway but I'd much rather eat at Fridays at the ball park!

Not sure where you end up staying but I can get to Miller Park in 15 minutes from Pewaukee because both are right off of I94 and another 5-10 minutes to Downtown so that really isn't a factor.

Well have fun and stay safe!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 44
25. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Just to clarify a previous post, you are FINE driving West of Marquette along Wisconsin Ave. to get to Miller Park. The neighborhood is not one where you would want to be out walking late at night (it's more deserted than anything), but driving along Wisconsin - especially on a game night - you will be among many other cars doing the same. Being told not to drive West of Marquette is essentially saying not to drive on one of the heaviest-travelled routes out of the middle of the city.

Edited: 11:05 am, April 04, 2013
Wisconsin
26. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Thanks all. Had lots of fun. We have driven the "scary" route back from miller park sometimes and the kids were wowed by some of the places. We live in a small town of less than 1000 with no stoplights and no fast food so scenery like that is cool to them. That WAS scary until we drove 90 east of Chicago in Gary Indiana coming back from Florida. Now that's a place I didn't want to break down or have to stop even in broad daylight. Yikes. Burnt out houses some boarded up. What a run down mess of scariness.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
27. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Thanks for posting an update Casey. I'm glad that previous post with misinformation about driving on Wisconsin Ave did not come up until after your trip.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
28. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

I just read that post again, wow " I would say as long as you are downtown on a week day before dark, things are safe."

Safe in what regard? I guess safety is not guaranteed anywhere these days, but Milwaukee's downtown is very vibrant and hardly a place to avoid at night. There are thousands of people every night in downtown Milwaukee enjoying sporting events, theater, dining, etc.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 24
29. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Hyatt Regency downtown. You get a touch of class and they have a waterpark for the kids. Close to all the areas that you mentioned going.

Downtown is safe after dark. Sometimes it's even a ghost town.

Wisconsin
30. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Exhaling-

I looked into the three hyatts in milwaukee for the hotel with the waterpark and can't seem to find it. I am looking for next time we go down. This may interest us.

Please help with finding this hyatt. Maybe I am missing something?