We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 115
Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Hi

We have decided to take the kids (11, 8, 6) on a short overnight to Milwaukee next Thursday night. We will be coming from the north stopping at the EAA in Oshkosh on the way down (the kids love it here). Here is where we need some help.

1. Looking at either the Hilton Garden Inn Airport or the Comfort Suites Park Place. Any suggestions on either place/bad locations/safety issues?

2. Wondering which is better Milwaukee Public Museum or Discovery World? If we did one would we have time for the other? Were also thinking of doing 1 and then adding the Domes.

We are going to the Brewer game friday night so we need to be there around 5 so we can eat at the restaurant during warmup.

Thursday night we have no dinner plans and were wondering if there is any neat restaurants we could do. Something different, kids wanted to do the Rainforest Cafe in Disney in December but didn't want to wait 45 minutes to eat.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Our kids love visiting museums. They loved the Cody Museum in Wyoming this past summer and the Mammoth Cave center and tour we did on the way home from Florida. We will be going to DC in September so we are trying to avoid national history/war museums since that is all we will be doing out there.

Thanks

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 93
1. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Discovery World is fantastic for elementary age on up with all the great and "cool" interactive stuff--bed of nails, heat sensing, human gerbil wheel, the aquarium area, a ship to tour through and some cool pulley stuff that's interactive. It's great for elementary aged to adult! There is much more than what I've mentioned, it's fascinating and best of all has a great view of the water and the art museum next door you may even see the art museum in motion when you visit.

The Milwaukee Public Museum is a grander scale and has some neat features--the live butterfly (big ones too) exhibit is great, the Streets of Old Milwaukee and the European Village are great. You could spend a whole day here and stay busy and find interesting exhibits like the rainforest area. It's less interactive though overall than Discovery World so although I love both I would wholeheartedly recommend Discovery World for this visit.

Someone else could give a better comparison of the two motels you chose.

The Domes are wonderful!

Edited: 12:48 pm, March 20, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 42
2. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

I wouldn't worry about safety issues for either hotel, but my personal preference would be the Hilton Garden Inn over the Comfort Suites, just based on location alone. It's a hike to get up to where the Comfort Suites is from downtown (i.e, Museums), and about the same distance from Miller Park to either. However, you ARE coming from the north, so getting home after leaving the hotel would be definitely closer. Hmm, I don't know. It's a horse a piece, I think.

For kids, definitely Discovery World. The museum is nice, but I personally think DW would be way more fun, based on activities. There is a pirate exhibit going on at the museum right now, if you're into that.

Based on where you are staying, you are going to have to drive to get to any restaurants downtown that I would recommend. There are some near the CS up in Menomonee Falls, but I haven't been so I can't recommend. What is your budget? Tastes?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 93
3. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

www.milwaukeemoms.com/fastfindsandfun/eats/

onmilwaukee.com/family/articles/kideats.html

for a unique fun experience in nearby Suburbia and right on the main strip of Hwy. 100 is Organ Piper Pizza

http://www.organpiperpizza.com/ and down the street from there one of the unique Kopp's locations is here for some great custard (on 76th and Layton). The architecture and setting are wonderful (it's nicer in summer when you can really sit out there and enjoy it but it's still neat). Great for dessert and good burgers too. www.kopps.com

Another favorite in the neighborhood of Kopps and Organ Piper is El Beso (great Mexican food and great setting as well: http://www.elbesomke.com/location.html

Edited: 12:54 pm, March 20, 2013
Wisconsin
reviews: 115
4. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Budget isn't a concern. I guess I was just looking for something fun for the kids.

We usually never have a hard time looking for a hotel in a large city but there aren't really any super nice high class hotels here. We really like Sheraton's but we aren't willing to try the one here. My husband was there for a conference last month and couldn't believe it was a Sheraton.

We really like to spoil ourselves on trips!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
5. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

It's a tough one for me on the hotel choice. Coming from the north the Comfort Suites would save a 1/2 hour of driving time and eliminate the hassle of a cross town drive coming and going. If that's not a concern then I would be more apt to recommend the Hilton Garden Inn by the airport. There's really not that much for restaurants in the area around Park Place, at least not that I know of. If budget is not an issue I would consider staying downtown.

The Milwaukee Public Museum has a pirate exhibit going that looks pretty cool, so I might give an edge to it over Discovery World because of the special exhibit. The Harley Davidson Museum is fun for all ages, whether you are into Harleys or not.

There is freeway construction going on. 94 south from downtown to the airport has construction and 94 west has construction in both directions in and out of downtown.

If you lock down your hotel location I'll do some scouting for restaurant choices in the area. I know there is a large Mexican restaurant on Layton Ave near the airport or you could go to one of the more authentic Mexican places in Walkers Point south of downtown, like La Perla.

There is a Dave and Busters near Mayfair and the other restaurant I hear a lot about for families is the Mineshaft in Hartford. That wouldn't be too far form the Comfort Suites. Downtown Buca's Italian restaurant would be a god choice for kids.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 42
6. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

If you are looking for a "super nice high class hotel," have you considered looking into the Hilton Milwaukee City Center, The Pfister, The Iron Horse or the InterContinental? I would put those in a class way above the 2 hotels you've chosen, not to mention in a much more optimal location. If you stay downtown, you also open up your restaurant choices to a bajillion more options.

(Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming your hotel choices are not a budget issue, either)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 35
7. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

I suggest that you consider staying closer to downtown if you are going to be doing activities near that area.

The Milwaukee Public Museum has a fantastic pirate exhibit. I went last weekend and really enjoyed it. It takes about 1.5 hours to do. Be sure to pay the extra $3 and rent the audio tour. There are also other nice exhibits in the museum. I suggest ordering your tickets online if you will be doing the tour on a weekday. We went on the weekend and had no problem getting tickets.

The Harley Museum is also a good option and close to downtown.

If you don't want to stay downtown, try the Holiday Inn Pewaukee. They have a suite with two bedrooms, kitchen, living room, fireplace and deck. The hotel offers a nice indoor pool. It is close to the Interstate and is located about 20 minutes from downtown. It probably would be a faster commute than staying at the airport area. We just stayed there a short time ago. It is well maintained. It is decorated in Frank Lloyd Wright style, so not your typical Holiday Inn.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
8. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

The Holiday Inn Pewaukee is a nice hotel, but Pewaukee's about twice the time and distance to downtown compared to the airport area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

There is definitely no reason to stay at either of the hotels you listed if you will be downtown. The Iron Horse is beautiful and our most "high class" hotel. Something extremely nostalgic and architecturally beautiful is the Pfister-If you are going to treat yourselves, these are the two places you would want to do it. The Iron Horse is affiliated with the Harley Museum, which is newer to Milwaukee and amazing! Definitely Discovery World/Betty Brinn, and for restaurants I would check out Ryan Braun's Grafitto (pricier, but Sports themed) Joey Buonas (family Italian style) do NOT go to El Beso. There are a chain of Mexican restaurants on Milwaukee's southside, but if you aren't from the area, it may seem a little "seedy" to you. Benihanna's is also downtown. Japanese SteakHouse where they prepare food in front of you. Kids always get a kick out of that. Again, to get the best Milwaukee experience, you'll want to stay downtown. Otherwise you will just be driving all over a city that looks just like every other. It is not that pricey here. I do recommend grabbing coffee from Alterra on Lincoln Memorial Drive, or just taking the drive. It's along lake Michigan and it's beautiful. Not far from there is Lake Drive which has TONS of old manisons. VERY cool.

Brookfield...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Questions for a milwaukee overnight next week

Check out the brand new Hilton Garden Inn downtown. It's incredible. It was Northwestern Mutual's headquarters building in the late 1800's and has been beautifully restored. They even have the giant walkin vault as a feature in the lobby. It's only five blocks from Discovery World and they might offer a shuttle to the Brewer game.