We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Davenport Ia
reviews: 2
best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

Going to visit Marquette. Looking at the hotel sites available and wondering where is the best place to stay. Anyone have any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
11. Re: best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

Milwaukee's downtown is generally thought of as being divided by the Milwaukee River. West town being the area west of the river and east town being the area east of the river. In fact, that's how the East Town Association refers to it's boundary. http://www.easttown.com/about

If the price at the Hilton Garden is that attractive it might be worth a look for a Marquette visit, but that would be the only reason. If someone wanted to drive to Marquette I would suggest staying at the Crown Plaza or some other Wauwatosa hotel.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
12. Re: best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

I completely disagree. According to Google Maps, it will take five minutes by car from the Hilton Garden Inn to Marquette as opposed to twelve minutes from the Crown Plaza in Wauwatosa. The only downfall is that you may have to pay for parking.

I personally think staying downtown will give you a better idea of what Milwaukee has to offer. No Marquette student ventures west to Wauwatosa unless they're going to Mayfair Mall. When I lived on campus, one of my favorite things to do was walk to the Public Market, which is equidistant or even further than the Hilton Garden Inn. On the weekends, we frequently walked to the bars on 3rd St or Water St.

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
13. Re: best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

As a parent of an MU alum, Milwaukee native, but now who lives a bit outside Milwaukee I see merit to both sides. I think it would help if we knew what the original poster meant by "best hotel". Now it's possible to sort through hotels very close to campus, those that give you an idea of the general area plus Milwaukee downtown and the surrounding areas of Milwaukee.

It also depends on WHEN they're coming. When we did college visits we enjoyed both driving and walking around the areas. But right now we're discussing January in Wisconsin, that may change things.

I've stayed at the Pfister, Hilton City Center, had family who stayed at the Doubletree. All those are good choices. The first two are a bit pricey, but sometimes it's fun to make these visits into something more memorable. The Pfister would definitely fill that bill. We were also very pleased with the Hilton. Personally, I'd opt for things more in the downtown area rather than the suburbs or surrounding community. If the student chooses MU, the family will be coming back for the move, visiting, events etc. It's nice to get familiar with the area.

I too offer advice if you would like to PM me. Both we and our daughter were very pleased with Marquette. However it IS an urban campus so you need to adjust a bit to that experience. Good luck, it's both a stressful and wonderful time in your lives.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 18
14. Re: best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

If you truly mean "close to Marquette" then the Ambassador, Hilton City Center and Double Tree are probably the best bets. All are nice. There is a Ramada, but I don't think I would recommend it in the same category as these. If you don't mind a little further east-more solidly in the downtown, then Hilton Garden Inn and the Pfister and Hampton Inn and Suites are good. None of them are more than 10-15minutes away (probably less) from Marquette. Its mostly a matter of how much you want to pay and what specials you can get.

15. Re: best hotel in downtown close to Marquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014