We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Day Activities

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FLORIDA1
reviews: 3
New Year's Day Activities

Hi. I took a look at online resources and found the Pfister Hotel has a New Year's Day brunch and there's a movie about Tahiti at a museum. Any other suggestions for New Year's Day for someone who doesn't want cabin fever or a hangover?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 63
1. Re: New Year's Day Activities

There's always the polar bear plunge, but I'll pass on that one. I'll be busy watching the Rose Parade and Wisconsin game.

If you haven't seen the Rembrandt exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum you could go there on New Year's Day.

Edited: 10:46 am, December 30, 2012
Wisconsin
reviews: 141
2. Re: New Year's Day Activities

Hey Przyk, you may pass on the Polar Bears but seeing as our poster is from Sunny FL I think it's an absolute MUST for them. Personally I've seen it once and that was enough, but I bet it would be something they'd always remember.

The Pfister's brunch should be very good, are you staying there? Top notch, you'll be pleased. Both the art museum and the Milwaukee Public museum which you're considering are worth stopping at too. If you do, you'll be in the downtown/east side area which has very picturesque, historic homes. If the snow hold ups (which it should) a drive around there would be quite pretty.

You could make it a real Wisconsin trip and go ice skating (indoor) at the Petit National Ice Center US Olympic training facility. It's an easy drive due west on I-94 from downtown. Or do it outdoors at the Red Arrow Park in downtown.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 50
3. Re: New Year's Day Activities

I might also recommend going to watch the Polar Plunge. Bundle up and find a local bar that is doing shuttles down and then you won't need to worry about finding a parking spot. It's a blast to watch. Starts at noon at Bradford Beach along the Lakefront.

You could also check milwaukee365.com for other ideas of what might be open New Years Day. A movie at the historic Oriental Theater might be a good bet as well.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 50
4. Re: New Year's Day Activities

there is also the kite festival on New Years Day:

http://giftofwings.com

FLORIDA1
5. Re: New Year's Day Activities

Thanks for all the great ideas! We are not staying at the Pfister Hotel but one look at the photo of the panoramic view from their pool made me want to stay there! The Polar Bear Plunge hurts to behold! Hope I am not required to partake to fit in the Milwaukee social scene. It just crossed my mind that it might be possible to view the Polar Bear Plunge at Bradford Beach from the warmth and comfort of the pool of the Pfister, as long as the window faces the right direction and the Pfister people gave us their blessing to take a look for a few short minutes.

The Kite Festival looks amazing also. Can't wait to get up there!

Thanks again, everyone!

Wisconsin
reviews: 141
6. Re: New Year's Day Activities

Yes, that pool and it's view is a hidden gem. Their bar is on the same floor and may have a similar view--I haven't looked out during the day time but have enjoyed the Pfister, the pool and the view several times. Let us know how you enjoyed Milwaukee. Sorry it's such a cold stretch for you, but if you went to the Polar Bear Plunge I doubt if they'll be chanting "It's not cold enough!" this time.

FLORIDA1
7. Re: New Year's Day Activities

You are right; the Pfister was amazing. The view from the pool was gorgeous as was the view from the ladies room on that floor. The brunch was top notch and The Rouge Ballroom is gorgeous with beautiful views also. The conceirge was eager to tell us about all the famous people who have stayed there.

I caught a bug with fever so couldn't visit everything but I now have a great agenda for next time. Thanks everyone for one of my best New Year's!

8. Re: New Year's Day Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 06, 2014