We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 2
Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

I am planning to take a short trip to Milwaukee. I would arrive at the airport on a January day, take a rental or hotel shuttle to Hilton by West Michigan street, attend to a concert at Riverside, head back to hotel and then take a flight back home to NYC next day.

First of all I just wanted to know what I would encounter during this trip? Is it totally safe around the venue? I see that it looks like a very nice town from google street view, but I really cannot tell since we also have pretty cool nice looking towns in NYC and NJ but it is actually a make up to cover the crap that's going on in the area. Also google maps show pretty classy places around there. Any feedback or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I also wouldn't mind taking a walk in the area to see some restaurants, etc..

I may extend my stay in a way as to arrive Saturday morning and leave Sunday night, so I may have a day and half around town, if there is anything to see that's notable, please feel free to share, otherwise I will just arrive and leave next morning.

Thanks in advance to all.

New York
11. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

Wife seems to think AirTran is missing seatbelts :) but overall videos and information show they got some recent Boeing 717's although their fleet spans 1998 to 2006 made 717 crafts. She thinks the cold weather and not being able to hail a cab will not be the only "adventures" we will have in WI.

Out of JFK/LGA we only have AirTran and a few small chartered airlines operating under Delta or United.

Other than AirTran flying direct under their own flag, I found SHUTTLE AMERICA DELTA CONNECTION and GOJET AIRLINES DELTA CONNECTION and EXPRESSJET AIRLINES under UNITED (Out of EWR, which I won't do) to be direct.

She also wants to go on a cruise, but the sad thing is that all the cruises we can go that week sails on 24th or 25th, there is not a single 3 day cruise that arrives by 26th so we could fly directly to WI.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
12. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

I've flown Airtran several times and it is as good as any US carrier these days. I would definitely go with a direct flight if possible. You don't want to add the uncertainty of a connecting flight with the chance of bad weather in January. And it should go without saying, avoid at all costs a connection at Chicago O'Hare.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 44
13. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

Just piping in here: You CAN hail a taxi, if there's one there. It's just that finding one driving around is the problem. Milwaukee has a cap on the number of taxi licenses allowed, and I think it's 321. So if you're lucky to get one of the 321 cabs driving around, that's a bonus. Otherwise you have to call to get one.

Your random TA fact of the day. ;)

New York
14. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

Only 321? So one big plane arriving at airport can claim all the cabs? Or do you guys also have "black cars" that are like our Car Service, legal, not-metered cabs?

My wife is asking if there is a biggest frying pan or biggest rubber band ball or something odd like that up in Milwaukee.. I told her they got beer and bucks. :)

Edited: 2:02 pm, December 28, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
15. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

Seriously, only 321 cabs. It's sort of ridiculous. I never thought about it from the perspective like you did, about a plane taking up all of them... We do have car services and limos that take people to and from the airport, plus reasonable parking rates, so I would assume that's where the bulk of that transportation resides. But yeah, we are definitely not a cab city.

You could see the Bronze Fonz along the riverwalk!

New York
16. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

Is that him? "What's fonzie like" "It's cool".. yeah? I never knew about him. :)

Is there no public transportation from the airport? I mean in case we get stuck without a cab. It sounds like it is not a busy place at all, but it is Milwaukee, how could it be so deserted.

Let me check some traffic cams, do you guys at least have traffic jam up there? In NYC %70 of vehicles downtown are cabs, if not more, especially during rush hour. With only a handful cabs, you guys should not have this much trouble. On the other hand I don't remember seeing that many cabs in SF either.. But they have BART & Trams and they were pretty convenient.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 100
17. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/wi There are some roadside attractions in WI not particularly in Milwaukee besides the Bronze Fonz already mentioned....and Gertie the Duck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertie_the_Duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Fonz

www.usingers.com This is a mainstay of Milwaukee though not odd it's worth a stop!

http://www.safe-house.com/ This is an oddity of interest to check out too I hear.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
18. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

There are buses that run from the airport to all over the city, but we just don't have the public transportation like New York or Chicago. Sometimes I think it's a shame, but most times it's not so bad, since Milwaukee is really a driving/parking-friendly city, relatively speaking. If you're staying and playing in the downtown area, though, you totally don't need a car. Most things are within walking or short cab/bus ride distance.

Since so many people drive, though, we do get traffic, too... but I honestly have to laugh at the delays sometimes, after growing up outside of Chicago. We'd have delays down there that were astronomical (once I saw a sign that said 116 minutes to the [Edens-Kennedy] Junction - which was only about 15 miles away. I thought I'd die.). So when I hear "delays of 8 minutes" up here, it's sort of silly. Granted, there are some nasty snags when it comes to weather. If the highways aren't plowed or salted, it usually means the rest of the city isn't either... so no one's going ANYwhere.

Shorewood, Wisconsin
reviews: 4
19. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

It is very safe here, especially downtown where you will be and as you head east toward the lake and art museum. It is also pretty much fine around Marquette University,, which is about 1 mile west of where you will be, but might not walk around there alone late at night because several places that service the homeless are nearby. East side: no worries at all. There are some neat German (Metzgers) and Irish (County Clare) restaurants nearby. There is even a Thai restaurant across the street from the Hilton.

Despite the cold, the sun comes out most days in the winter. Wear warm socks and long johns to walk around, but many buildings are connected with walkways. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what a clean, friendly, civil place this is.

West Allis...
reviews: 39
20. Re: Safety question for Milwaukee trip, and things to do?

I would also check out the Milwaukee Public Market during the day - great place to grab a bite to eat...they have merchants specializing in everything from Mexican, Indian, Seafood, Sushi, great salads/sandwiches, even a gourmet cheese shop (get some cheese curds!) and amazing sweets, grab a drink at Thief Wine Shop.

The Market is in the Third Ward neighborhood, ecclectic shops, bars, restaurants and clubs and totally within walking distance from Wisconsin Avenue/Riverside Theater area. Check out: www.milwaukeepublicmarket.org and www.historicthirdward.com for more ideas!

You will want to stay longer or plan another visit back to Milwaukee for sure!