We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at MKE, buyer beware

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 40
Car rental at MKE, buyer beware

I wish there was somewhere on here for rental car reviews.

I just had the worst experience ever, trying to rent a car from Thrifty at the Milwaukee airport. They said that both credit cards I tried to used were declined. They also would not run the cards again, stating that they can only run a card once every 24 hours. So, basically they refused to rent me a car. I ended up going down to the Budget rental counter where a very nice lady named Melissa helped me rent a car, using the exact same credit card (the first one) that Thrifty had declined earlier.

The worst part of all this is that when I called my credit card company (the second one I tried to use at Thrifty) the next day, the card issuer stated that they had not declined my card, and in fact had no record of the transaction at all.

I will never rent with Thrifty again, in Milwaukee or anywhere else. The whole experience was humiliating, as other customers were watching me cry and protest over the credit card declines. My Dad had just gone into the hospital and the employee working the counter could not have been more rude. If anyone has a suggestion of a good place to go to leave a review, please let me know.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
1. Re: Car rental at MKE, buyer beware

The kind of complaints I'm used to reading about car rental companies are things like they push to sell insurance or other extras, they don't have the car available that the customer reserved, or cars are dirty or beat up. I don't see the benefit to Thrifty of denying your credit card because your only option at that point was to go to a competitor. They didn't gain anything, they lost.

It sounds to me like you may have been dealing with an incompetent employee. Perhaps sending a letter to Thrifty would be productive. If they receive enough complaints about the employee perhaps they will deal with the situation.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 42
2. Re: Car rental at MKE, buyer beware

Sorry indeed to hear of your experience. I trust that you called and asked to speak to a manager and asked for an explanation?

3. Re: Car rental at MKE, buyer beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, December 15, 2013