We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brewery tour info

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
Brewery tour info

There is a good article in today's Journal Sentinel about Milwaukee brewery tours. jsonline.com/entertainment/milwaukee-wiscons…

18 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 42
11. Re: Brewery tour info

nlw09 - Depends on how far you want to walk. There for sure isn't anything within reasonable walking distance to Miller, since it's about 3 miles outside of downtown. You'd for sure want to take a cab there.

If you want to walk to Lakefront, the Aloft hotel is probably your best bet, as it's exactly 1 mile from the brewery, and an easy walk... in pleasant weather. If it's really cold/rainy/snowy, it could be sort of brutal, in my opinion. The Astor or Knickerbocker would also be walkable to Lakefront, through pleasant neighborhoods, but again - about a mile.

Edited: 9:34 am, December 12, 2012
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
12. Re: Brewery tour info

The Milwaukee Brewing company is close to the Iron Horse. Tours are limited, but they are supposed to be good. http://mkebrewing.com/

The Iron Horse is on the fringe of downtown and not convenient for walking to most places. Hotel Metro would be more convenient for walking to bars and restaurants at night.

The Lakefront brewery tour is also highly recommended, but would be more of a short drive or taxi ride than a walk.

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 4
13. Re: Brewery tour info

If you stayed at the Hotel Metro, both Milwaukee Brewing Co (essentially to the south) and Lakefront Brewery (to the north) are 1.3 miles away by foot. I'd say quite walkable. Those parts of the city are just fine for walking.

Otherwise, closer "brewpub" options would be Water Street Brewery and Rock Bottom Brewery, both downtown, or the Milwaukee Ale House in the Third Ward, just to the south of downtown but in my opinion still part of downtown. The Milwaukee Ale House has Milwaukee Brewing Co beers on tap, since they are related businesses.

Both Lakefront and Milwaukee Brewing Co have good tours and good beers. I like both, but at this time I prefer the MKE Brewing Co.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
14. Re: Brewery tour info

In Milwaukee, everything is walking distance, depending on how far u like to walk (just ask Milverine). Hotel Metro is 15 or 20 minute walk from Lakefront, but you could easily walk down to the river then north to Lakefront. Iron Horse is directly across from Great Lakes Distillery and about a 10 minute walk from Milwaukee Brewing. The best part about either walk is the bar hopping along the way.....

Exercise more caution if you do the Iron Horse to Milwaukee Brewing after dark.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
15. Re: Brewery tour info

Also, I'm always surprised when Milwaukeeans say things aren't walkable. We are addicted to our cars and free parking. In Milwaukee if something isn't two blocks or closer people dismiss as unwalkable....... Get off your dupas!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
16. Re: Brewery tour info

Yep, technically anything is walkable and with our winter weather so far you probably won't freeze to death. Although I walked about 10 blocks today and I was pretty darn cold.

I love to walk and go on long walks all the time, but if I was meeting you to take you on a brewery tour, we'd be driving. If you are planning a trip for next summer you might talk me into walking, but chunks of the walk in either direction are not that much fun, in my opinion.

If you are interested in a walking tour of downtown Milwaukee I can give you some ideas, but they would not include walking to either of the breweries.

Edited: 1:57 am, December 13, 2012
Milwaukee...
17. Re: Brewery tour info

I did the Pabst tour recently not an operating brewery but a lot of history and tour guide/owner is a hoot

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 4
18. Re: Brewery tour info

A new "nano" brewery has opened about 20 blocks west of the big Miller Brewery on State St. Big Head Brewing Co at 6204 W. State St in Wauwatosa has limited tasting room hours (Thu, Fri, and Sat), but might be worth a stop for beer geeks, especially since it is so close to Miller. One could compare a giant with the smallest of the small in one afternoon. I found Big Head's Wheat Ale quite unique....I would more accurately describe it as a smoked wheat ale. Interesting beer.

Also deserving mention is Silver Creek Brewing Company in Cedarburg. Good beers, and the most unique entrance to a brewery I have seen to date (and I have seen my fair share). They are only 20 miles north from downtown Milwaukee, about a 25 minute drive. They also have some respectable guest beers on tap. Recommended.

https:/…189565107749505

silvercreekbrewing.com/Silver_Creek/Home.html

Reply to: Brewery tour info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted