We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WI
reviews: 22
Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

I was wondering what hotels would be best to stay at, if we go shopping and eat at the Cheesecake Factory, Mayfair and another interest is the Safehouse. I have a friend that lives around the area and first suggested "downtown", so we could walk to various locations, but then again we'd have to pay more for a hotel and $25 for parking as well. Now she's thinking a hotel by the airport and shuttling down for free. Any suggestions? We would like to go out for the night, maybe see a band or dancing, but no 21 year old clubs. The 2 of us are 30's and 40's and the girl in the area is in her 20's, but said we may feel uncomfortable is the dance clubs scene there. We're going on Feb. 4th as well, so walking around is probably out of the question anyways as far as skipping around to different bars or what not. Also, Cheesecake Factory and Safehouse are just suggestions we've gotten so far. Advice on these places as well would be great.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
1. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

The Safe House is a DT Milwaukee institution--kitschy, OK food.

The Cheescake Factory is a chain; they're all the same. There's also one at Bayshore, which is closer to DT.

The Rumpus Room is the newest of the Bartolottsa restaurants, and their Harbor House has a great view of the Lake. The Bartolottas always do an excellent job.

I'd prefer to stay DT so I could walk to the Safe House, other restaurants and clubs. Lots of people walk around DT in February; it rarely gets too cold to do that.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
2. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

You are correct that you will probably pay more for a downtown hotel and have a hefty parking charge to boot. I would be surprised if you find an airport area hotel that would provide a free shuttle downtown.

That is often the dilemma of staying in Milwaukee, or any city. If your budget allows I think downtown is a good option. If not, then I think you can still have a good time in Milwaukee staying outside of downtown. But, you may have to either drive or take taxis to get around.

One other option is to bid for a downtown hotel on Priceline. If you get a low enough bid accepted it could work out.

As far as Cheesecake Factory, it is a chain, but it is very popular. Many visitors enjoy Milwaukee's unique local eateries, but if Cheesecake factory is what you want I say go for it. It would be a convenient finish to your shopping day. I would suggest shopping and the Cheesecake Factory at Mayfair as opposed to Bayshore in February since Bayshore is pretty much an outdoor mall. Mayfair is a really nice mall.

Not knowing you or your 20 something friend I am not sure why she would think you would be uncomfortable in Milwaukee clubs. Perhaps she means in clubs for 21 years olds that she knows. A place like Victors attracts an older, but mixed aged crowd and has more disco type dancing than hip hop.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 42
3. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

If the main goals of your trip are to hit up Mayfair and Cheesecake Factory, there is a Radisson in Wauwatosa (corner of North Ave and Hwy 100) that is across the street from both. I would imagine their rates are lower than the downtown hotels, and I think it gets good enough reviews. You could easily take a ~15 min cab ride downtown from there, but it will likely cost as much as it would to park at a hotel downtown (I used to cab it from downtown to east Wauwatosa, and it was ~$10-15 per ride). Mayfair is pretty far west.

If you stayed by the airport, you are about 20-25 mins away from Mayfair and C.F., plus your cab rides to downtown. I wouldn't recommend it, at least not for this trip.

I really think you may do better trying to stay downtown, and try Priceline like przyk suggested. I bet you'd find a good rate. That way you could walk (or cheaply cab) to places nearby, and then maybe take a day to drive out to Mayfair, do your shopping, and get some lunch or dinner at Cheesecake Factory. Although, I have to be honest that there are a heck of a lot more restaurants in the Milwaukee area that I'd go to a hundred times before going to Cheesecake Factory. Sorry if I offend, I just think you can get much better food for the same prices at other places.

As far as clubs and going out downtown, Buckhead Saloon has dancing, but attracts a slightly younger (early 20s) crowd. I mean, they played Tone Loc covers and my friends and I (mid-late 20's) were the only ones that didn't leave the dance floor. :)

Check out onmilwaukee.com for places that might have a good band playing on the night you want to go out. Or expressmilwaukee.com, the website for the local entertainment newspaper Shepherd Express.

Edited: 10:36 am, January 25, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 45
4. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

If your main focus is shopping and Cheesecake Factory, I would highly recommend the Radisson Hotel directly across from Mayfair. They recently built a new restaurant and bar inside called Jimmy's Island Grill, that is a lot of fun, and they will often have live music there. Also just down the road from there is Mo's Irish Pub, another hopping scene. Not sure if they have live entertainment on the weekends. While it's true that you'll be out in chain restaurant land, a short drive or taxi ride to Wauwatosa and you can dine at Ristorante Bartolotta, Cafe Hollander, Maxie's Southern Comfort, and Blue's Egg for breakfast (yum). Eddie Martini's if you really wanted to go upscale.

You are also very close to Brookfield Square then, another great mall. There are some independent restaurants that way as well.

If you still really wanted to do downtown, either designate a driver, or call the Radisson ahead of time and see what can be done about transportation. Either pool your money for a cab, or have a lot of fun and rent a limo to get you downtown.

WI
reviews: 22
5. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

Thanks for all the great tips, I wrote everything down. We're still up in the air because, I'm on the tightest budget right now (not sure where the other 2 gals are at) and really need to keep everything at a minimum. My friend J that "lives in the area" said, if we stay downtown, we will pay for it and also the drinks are far more expensive there as well. I know that's where the Safehouse is located though and from some of the reviews I've read, it's a good place to check out at least once in your life, but not necessarily to eat at. What do you think? Also, I've never bid on a hotel through Priceline before, how does that work? As far as our schedule for the weekend; I'm picking up my friend in Madison at Noon on Saturday and heading out from there. *Would you suggest stopping to shop first, then checking into hotel to get ready, relax a bit, find a nice restaurant and then a bar or two. I'm not sure if bar-hopping is really there thing either. We just want to have a fun night out without a lot of stress as where to go, etc. I just happened to get the earlier suggestions of Safehouse and Cheesecake Factory (my friend and I have already been to a few). Any new suggestions would be helpful, as well as what you've already come up with. I tend to make things more difficult than what they need to be. ;) I thought our night had been planned out, but we had to cancel a previous date at a hotel booked downtown and now the price for that same hotel doubled for this weekend. My likes: shopping/browsing, casual dinner, fun bars with various rock music, dancing, just nothing too stuffy feeling, I'm the one in my 30's. M's likes: not too much shopping, casual dinner, fun bars with various music to dance to or live bands, (but sometimes then it's hard to hear what the heck your friends are even saying), not snooty feeling, but she's fine with all age groups and talks to everyone, she's in her 40's. J's likes: she's in her 20's and also talks to everyone, she's a sale shopper like myself and I believe on a budget too, not sure what her favorite music is, but I'm assuming dancing as well, maybe not the live scene for her, she previously booked for downtown, but now thinks closer to the airport or farther out would be the cheapest way to go. <<< See what I mean, I think too much or maybe it's just because I don't get out all that often, hahaha.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 45
6. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

the airport area, while closer to downtown, is no where near where you want to shop.

If you want to hit the bars and be able to walk to them, then you want to be downtown. If one bar doesn't suit you, you just leave and walk to the next.

Safehouse is fun, but you can always hit it up on a future visit. There will be a cover charge; drinks may be a little pricier here.

As for your friend's comment that drinks are pricier downtown, I strongly disagree. You can find deals in a lot of places downtown. I find them more expensive in the burbs, unless you're drinking at a classic Milwaukee tavern.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 6
7. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

For next time...

Always a good time with the girls is Lucille's dueling pianos & I believe if you make a table reservation (which I recommend doing), there is no cover charge (with a small group get close to the front). They have several drink specials each night which are a great deal.

Right near there is Old German Beer Hall (http://www.oldgermanbeerhall.com) - they have a simple good menu served at long tables and they have live polka on the weekends. Get there a little bit a head of the crowd to ensure a spot (i don't think they take reservations). Make sure to get in a game of Hammerschlagen or shot-ski.

Safe house does have some good food - their pita appetizer is awesome. Also, i think if you get dinner earlier you don't have to pay a cover. They have dancing later in the night but if that's not your thing might be better to go earlier. It's really fun just to check the place out no maker what time of day, and earlier will be less crowded.

Though drinks aren't necessarily more expensive downtown, I think in general food is. An option is La Perla - a fun place (in Mexican food land) and they have a free shuttle. This is another Milwaukee institution. Or try Elsa's off of Cathedral Square (also lots of bars in this area).

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
8. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS Dine at El Beso. Go a bit out of your way and dine here. The good thing about this location is it's right next door to Southridge Mall and many other shops all along the way. 76th St. is great and also Hwy. 100 on the way back for more shopping. While in Greenfield also try custard at Kopp's a local must visit location. It's just an alternative to your plans. You could also stay halfway between original location near Mayfair and these locations I'm suggesting at an affordable and nice location the Golden Key Motel:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g59934-d252476-…

http://www.goldenkeymotel.com/ It's right off Hwy. 100 but close to the hwy. It also heads you in the direction of Greenfield (go up to Layton off Hwy. 100 and then 76th St.) where Kopps, El Beso, Half Price Books and many other shops plus Southridge Mall is located.

The options are endless whether in downtown or local nearby smaller hubs of activity. Enjoy your trip whatever the plan.

Edited: 12:59 pm, September 26, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
9. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

Hi teenster3,

It sounds like you're looking for fun bars with live music that aren't catered to the 21-crowd. If that's the case, I highly suggest Mo's Irish Pub on Wisconsin Ave or the Milwaukee Ale House in the Third Ward. Both are restaurant bars and always have live music on Friday and Saturday nights. In addition, you can find people of all age groups frequenting these places. I think your 20 year old and 40 year old friends (and you!) will enjoy both of these places.

If you're looking for budget hotels in Milwaukee, take a look at the Comfort Inn & Suites. It always has a good deal and is in a great location! (I live two blocks away, so I should know :))

I hope this helps!

Edited: 6:06 pm, October 01, 2012
10. Re: Girl's Weekend Hotels and where to go nightlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 14, 2013