We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake delavan and lake geneva

Which Delavan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis MN
reviews: 31
lake delavan and lake geneva

We are planning a 50th anniversary/family reunion in this area convenient for family members in the Chicago area and those from Minnesota. Long time since we have been to the area and wonder which resorts would give best service, rooms, etc.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 99
1. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

If you are looking to stay in Delavan, there are really only 2 full-service resorts that could cater to a large group. You are probably familiar with Lake Lawn Resort www.lakelawnresort.com which was formerly known as Lake Lawn Lodge. It has been completely renovated and now has a spa and restaurants. The Delavan Lake Resort www.lakedelavanresort.com is new within the past 5 years and is a condo/suite resort. If you are familiar with the area, it would be on South Shore Drive somewhat near the Supper Club (yes, it is still there). Lake Geneva is only a 10-minute drive east on Rt. 50, so you would also have the option of staying there. If you visit the Lake Geneva TripAdvisor forum and look for the topic of Best Resort to Stay at for a January Weekend posted by Louis, you will find my comments on various resorts in Lake Geneva. If you have not been to Delavan for a long time, you will be surprised at its growth. It now has its own WalMart, Lowes, and even a Japanese steak house! Downtown Delavan is still the quaint town with cobblestone streets and antique stores. Post again if you have more questions and I'll be happy to help.

Minneapolis MN
2. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

Thanks for the info. We had heard some negative things about Lake Lawn getting a little worn, and they have been very slow responding to our requests for information whereas the lake Delavan Resort was very quick to respond. I can only imagine how it has grown, but the area seems central to friends and family.

I will check out the Lake Geneva forum. Also do you know of any State Parks that we can reserve for a large reunion picnic?

Rita Olk

Chicago, IL
3. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

I am sorry to hear that Lake Lawn is slow in responding. Since its renovation, it has become quite a nice place to stay. It no longer has that worn appearance that was associated with it when in carried the name Lake Lawn Lodge. You won't be disappointed with it or the Delavan Lake Resort. It just depends on whether you want a condo with a kitchen to fix your own meals because there is no restaurant onsite at the Delavan Lake Resort. Both it and Lake Lawn have pools and are right on Delavan Lake.

With regard to the state parks, my favorite area is the Kettle Moraine State Forest, which would be north of Delavan in Whitewater and Eagle. It has hiking, biking, horseback riding, picnics etc. It is a glacial area with hills, small lakes and forest dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/kms/

Old World Wisconsin, www.oldworldwisconsin.org , a living history outdoor museum is located in the Kettle Moraine in Eagle. They may even provide space for your family. It is an entire village of old ethnic homesteads with costumed docents. They have special events and lots of participatory activities.

Also, Richard Bong Recreational area, located just east of Burlington WI dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/bong/

is much smaller than the Kettle Moraine area, but does have a lake and picnic areas.

Any of these areas would be about a 30-40 minute drive from Delavan.

www.wiparks.net would also give you more state parks to look at.

http://ci.delavan.wi.us/park_cityparks.cfm This is the website for the city of Delavan Park system, which has some very nice parks that can be rented out, if you wanted to stay more local.

One other fun thing to do is to ride the East Troy Electric Railroad. It runs from East Troy to Mukwonago www.easttroyrr.org Very old fashioned conductors who give lots of history. When you get to Mukwanago there is the Elegant Farmer store, a farm kitchen bakery, deli and market, www.elegantfarmer.com where you can have lunch.

Finally, right on Hwy. 50 as you head east from Delavan to Lake Geneva, there are two attractions that would be great for kids. The Dancing Horse theater www.thedancinghorses.com and associated with it The Animal Gardens www.animalgardens.com Lot's of fun.

If your family is into fishing, they will love Rushing Waters in Palmyra, also up in the Kettle Moraine area www.rushingwaters.net Here you can fish without a license, rent equipment and have your trout cleaned after you catch it from their trout fishing farm.

Hope this helps. Again, let me know if you need more information.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 20
4. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

Lakelawn Lodge is one of those places that takes a long time to respond to email, in my experience. You are much better off calling them and asking for the Concierge Desk once you check on/make reservations. Leave a voicemail if they are unavailable, and someone will definitely call you back.

The Concierges over the last 10 years have been great - they can give you advice on everything and anything in the area, and they will happily book or reserve park shelters and tours for you. Lakelawn hires really good people for this job, and it makes me keep using them again and again.

The Big Foot Beach is another great place for a family reunion. You will never forget that name, and it's a fun conversation starter when you get back home!

Hope you have a great time......

Chicago, IL
5. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

Big Foot State Park in Lake Geneva would be the most convenient. Unfortunately, it is just that convenience that makes it book up fast and become very crowded. Since it is just outside the actual town of Lake Geneva and because it offers camping, it fills up fast in summer months. I would highly recommend that if you want to reserve a space you do it now. The one other thing you should also realize is that with respect to traffic and crowds, there will be a huge difference between Lake Geneva and Delavan. In fact, there are days in summer when you can sit in traffic in Lake Geneva for half hour just trying to get down the main street...not especially good if you have a large group of people all trying to get somewhere. Lake Geneva is a great place for shopping and dining and has some great resorts. But I question whether its Big Foot State Park would be the best for your needs.

Southern Wisconsin
reviews: 2
6. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

You want to be in lake Geneva for sure. The Lake is the best in the midwest so clean and clear. The tours are fantastic and memorable. There are plenty of options for hotels and don't forget possiblity of renting homes and of course there is many dining options as well.

the lake geneva chamber has all the listing for these things and you can access it at

www.lakegenevawi.com

Minneapolis MN
7. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

Thanks, A little late with a reply. I would like to report that it was the email factor, they never did reply to that. But we called and were told they would send brochures etc. Two weeks later, we called again and they said the post office said things were slow because of the holidays...now it is the first week of January. Call again and they had an error on our address, but no one followed up on the phone! Then it was another 2 or 3 weeks before anything arrived. Not good PR., sales follow-up, etc. Made us nervous about the service, and we do know its former reputation. So we had reserved Delavan Lake Resort, and they have been most accommodating.

Will keep Trip Advisor posted after the event.

Chicago, IL
8. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

Wow, I can't believe you had that much trouble contacting Lake Lawn Resort. I would think they would be more on top of things. Please do keep the TripAdvisor forum informed about your contacts with them.

I am sure you will be happy at the Delavan Lake Resort. It is right on the water, and its pool overlooks the lake. The Village Supper club http://www.foodspot.com/villagesupperclub/ , also on the water, is just a short walk down the street. So if you decided you wanted not to cook and have dinner out, it would be not only convenient, but a good place to eat. It has a large room for parties, so you may want to keep that in mind for your reunion.

Have a great reunion in Delavan.

9. Re: lake delavan and lake geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Delavan